Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snap questions :)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 329 Total Views

I have read repeatedly that the plastic snaps are what to use for making cloth diapers. I cannot afford the Snap press...and can't find snap pliers. Any whoo I was reading on line doing more research and I read that metal snaps can be used as long as they have long prongs and that they are open rings (like on onsies), I even found a recommended site to buy them from... my questions. Has any one else come across this info? Is it worth trying?

Thanks in advance,

Angelique

I just realized I put this in the wrong section sorry!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Quote http://www.thesnapstore.com/faq.htm:

Q:  How do I decide on what kind of snap prong/post I need?

A:  Not "The longer, the better".  

The post/prong length depends on your application.  The thicker/more layers of fabric, the longer post/prong you need.  For diaper making, size 20 or size 18 is good for most type of diaper pattern (size 18 has a little sharper and longer post than size 20).  If you find that post is still too short, you may consider size 20 extra long snaps.  Same rule applies to metal snaps.  The regular size 16 long prong metal snaps work fine for diapers and children's clothing.  But if your diaper pattern makes extra thick diapers at the wing, you may consider the extra long prong metal snaps.  

On the other hand, if you only apply snaps to 2-3 layers of fabric (such as children's clothing), please don't use the extra long prong/post snaps because you may run into trouble when try to fasten.

I've never actually known anyone who had metal snaps rust. I wouldn't think it really would be a problem unless you soak your diapers until you wash them. Use a dry pail and they should be fine. Then again, I don't use snaps so I could be wrong...but the only problems I've known of that weren't just hearsay (to me) was that the paint on metal snaps chips off due to laundering. I'd give it a try - maybe just put them on one diaper and use it for a little while before doing anything further.

I'm pretty sure you can get plastic snap tape, though, if you'd prefer to go that route.

handmsmom
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM

i just bought the snap pliers, but i do have several dipes that i have put metal snaps on.  i got them from here: 

http://www.sewshoppe.com/snaps.shtml

the dipes with the metal snaps have been washed 2-3 times a week for the last 6 months and i have not had any problems with them.

MRSnMOTHER
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Quoting handmsmom:

i just bought the snap pliers, but i do have several dipes that i have put metal snaps on.  i got them from here: 

http://www.sewshoppe.com/snaps.shtml

the dipes with the metal snaps have been washed 2-3 times a week for the last 6 months and i have not had any problems with them.

Thank you Hun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)