Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who is taking Lamaze type classes and who will just wing it?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 458 Total Views

My hosp charges $75 for the birthing classes when I thought they would be free if I deliver there. I don't want to spend the money, bc we live paycheck to paycheck basically. I could use that money for something physical for the baby. I figure the birth will happen whether I know breathing and techniques or not. Anyone been thru it to give pointers?

Baby boy on the way to cop/Army wife. Hope daddy is around more after he gets here.

Krista

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitacall
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM

You dont need a class, when the time comes you will know what to do, plus the doc and nurses will be in the room telling you the whole time.  I'm about to have my 3 rd kid in July & I never took a class, i was a bit nervous the 1st time, but i really didnt need a class.  So, dont waste your money, buy something for that baby! LOL

montanacat
by Group Owner on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I agree. I took a 6 week class the first time, and they covered so many different topics there really wasn't time to absorb it all anyway-when it came time to have baby i just did what i was told! It's been 4+ years, but i'm just gonna wing it this time.

hopefulmom1228
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

We are taking the classes, its six classes pushed into 5 weeks....and im second guessing it now, but they are already paid for. We live an hour away from our hospital so in 5 weeks we have to drive an hour, and im still working full time as well. Oh lord. But it will make time pass alot quicker i hope!

JeresMom
by Group Admin on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM

The classes were interesting if you have questions.  I took a crash course class b/c the tour of the hospital was included.  I learned somethings but honestly have lerned more on my own.  Plus you naturally know what to do b/c when you are in labor you can't remember those things anyway.  So long as you are breathing and pushing your good!

BMDunlap01
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I'm doing the same thing as you. Our classes are actually $90 (ridiculous!) and we don't have the extra money for something like that. Imagine all the things I can buy for the baby we actually need. I've asked this question of a lot of people and they all agree the class isn't necessary.

Marinewife531
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I see that you are military. My husband is in the marine corp and the last base we were at offered classes for free and so does the one we are at now. They also offer parenting classes and breastfeeding classes. Just go to the OB nurse at the clinic on base or the tricare office and ask them about it...But with my first I did not take any classes and did just fine!

Stefanie83
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM

i took the hospital class w/ my first and i did think it was helpful to know their policies, so that i could be sure to talk to my midwife about what routine stuff i did NOT want unless absolutely necessary.

mostly, i think reading is great.  i like ina may's guide to childbirth, easing labor pain, birthing from within.  there are so many great books out there.  i would love to take a really good natural birth class series but we also live pay check to pay check   :)

missy_03
by Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM

My hubby and I took a class for our first child. I got some info out of it but nothing you can't find in What to Expect When your Expecting or on the internet. One thing that would help if you don't plan on getting an epidural are the breathing techniques. It also helps you know the signs of labor, but again you can find all of that by book or internet.

I am one of those anal pregnant women that has to know everything about what my body will be going through so I read alot. I have friends and family that never really read the books and didn't take a class that did just fine. Good Luck with your labor!! 

CafeMom Tickers
tlfaris
by Member on Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

We plan to take the classes. Thisis our first and hubby is so clueless about pregnancy, birthing and babies it will be good for him. even if I have done all the reading. I can tell him stuff till I am blue in the face but until he hears it from an expert it doesn't exact;y sink in sometimes. LOL! I know that sounds bad but it's actually kinda funny so don't take it the wrong way. My hubby is very intelligent but so clueless when it comes to this stuff. LOL.

laughing

martat
by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

This is our third and we have not taken any classes.  We had signed up for a one day class with our first but she came the week before the class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)