Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for smokers....be honest please!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:28 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 538 Total Views

Okay, so i used to toke it up in high school and stuff, but after kids, I quit all of that and focused on being a mom. I know there are lots of others out there who still do their thing, though, and are still great mommy's. But something happened last week that made me wonder about something:

My SIL has a 16mo baby girl. She stopped smoking pot while preggers, but once baby was born, she started smoking while bfing, and while holding baby and all of that. My hubby went to her house last weekend with his brother and cousins (after not seeing or hanging out with her for months hardly, and not knowing if she still did this.) She does. She had everyone over, they all sat around smoking a huge bong, and all the while, little Chloe's running around, stoned out of her gourd. Hubby (who doesn't smoke, but enjoys a few beers a week during his night out) had a problem with it, and the whole room divided up into 2 groups. My hubby Ryan, and his cousin Jeremy were saying it wasn't right to subject the little girl to it, especially when it was SO smoky, and there was no ventilation or anything. She was OBVIOUSLY stoned. The others said it was COMPLETELY normal, and that ALL of their friends with kids do it. Of course, hubby was upset, and put Chloe to sleep himself for the night. I was very proud of him for taking over with her, and getting her out of the situation, but that's just me.

My Q? What's your stance on this and why? Is it "normal" to be a smoker and do it around your kids while young? (I understand a lot of people do it when kids are older and stuff, but in my eyes, the age changes things...)

Visit my store to see beautiful things for baby in organics, naturals, upcycled, and traditional fabrics/materials, and many with hand embroidery... I do custom orders!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mychele
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Quoting kathymama4:

My Q? What's your stance on this and why? Is it "normal" to be a smoker and do it around your kids while young? (I understand a lot of people do it when kids are older and stuff, but in my eyes, the age changes things...)

Honestly as you want it...I am against all illegal drugs and if i knew where your SIL lived and who all was there getting a child high, I'd report you all to the authorities.  This is disgusting..

Photobucket

Photobucket
my4littlegirls
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I think it depends.  My hubby smokes normal cigerattes outside in front of our kids but not directly around them unless they come by him.  As for illegal drugs I think its wrong to do it in front of a kid.  Expecially with no ventalation.  Also, kids are impressionable at any age.  My friend has a step-dd that used to dance at her parties saying tips because her mom would take her to work with her.  That was at 5 yrs old.  Thats not normal.  I would defanilty call the cops or cps next time you know its going on.

missy_03
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I think it is wrong to subject any child to that kind of environment. What is that saying to children that it's okay to toke up? And when they are older that drug won't be enough so they will start on something else....how sad =(

Smoking regular cigarrettes is fine outside but never inside. My husband was exposed to that while he was growing up and now has asthma because of it. He also has a chance that he could develop lung cancer even though he's never had a cigarrette in his entire life!  

MommyRJ
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Quoting Mychele:

Quoting kathymama4:

Honestly as you want it...I am against all illegal drugs and if i knew where your SIL lived and who all was there getting a child high, I'd report you all to the authorities.  This is disgusting..

agree. EXACTLY!!!

its NOT okay. There is NO excuse for it...And honestly if you both feel the same about it, report her for it- dont care if its family, thats sick.

Randee..
..Lover to Brandon..
..Mommy to Mr.Bryley Scott 10.27.08..
..It's a GIRL!!---> Kamrynn Clare --->Arriving Via Csection June 24th 2010..

JeresMom
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM

IMHO I think what adults choose to do in THEIR free time is their business.  I am very against the child being subjected to it though!  I have known alot of great parents who chose to continue smoking pot after their babies were born.  Mind you AFTER kids were in bed and NOT in the house!  I mean that is one step away from passing the bong to her!!!

If i was your Hubby I would not hang out around there if they continue to smoke while the child is awake and in the room.  Why can't the just go outside?  At least if they are going to smoke b/c people will do as they do don't subject the child to it!  BTW I am proud of your Hubby as well for removing the child from the situation.  Things are not always black and white when it comes to our familys.  I think sometimes other people don't see the gray area b/c they are not involved in the situation! 

Maybe you could try and talk with them...letting them know that they could  lose custody for this.

Mychele
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Quoting JeresMom:

IMHO I think what adults choose to do in THEIR free time is their business.  I am very against the child being subjected to it though!  I have known alot of great parents who chose to continue smoking pot after their babies were born.  Mind you AFTER kids were in bed and NOT in the house!  I mean that is one step away from passing the bong to her!!!

If i was your Hubby I would not hang out around there if they continue to smoke while the child is awake and in the room.  Why can't the just go outside?  At least if they are going to smoke b/c people will do as they do don't subject the child to it!  BTW I am proud of your Hubby as well for removing the child from the situation.  Things are not always black and white when it comes to our familys.  I think sometimes other people don't see the gray area b/c they are not involved in the situation! 

Maybe you could try and talk with them...letting them know that they could  lose custody for this.

Grey area ?...LOL Umm No...they are using drugs..Its illegal and they subject a child to it..  They should be incarcerated and thier child put into someone else's care...I had no tolerace for drug addicts. 

Photobucket

Photobucket
JeresMom
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I meant because it's family!  AND I AM against it as well being subjected to the child!  That is why I suggested that someone talk with them about it.  She was asking for opinions not the law but thanks!  thats's why IMHO (in my honest opinion). 

Quoting Mychele:

Quoting JeresMom:

Grey area ?...LOL Umm No...they are using drugs..Its illegal and they subject a child to it..  They should be incarcerated and thier child put into someone else's care...I had no tolerace for drug addicts. 

CafeMom Tickers
GREEKLADYINNJ
by New Member on May. 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM

I consider myself to be an open minded person. I am 35 yrs old, pregnant at 19 yrs old, single mom for 12 yrs, now married with soon to be 2 yr old twins and one on the way. I have been there and done that. I feel that the adult could choose to do what he or she wants with themselves but they job, as a parent, their God given responsibility is to protect their children the best way they know how. Now, smoking pot, in a bong no less around the baby is NOT acceptable and punishable. Children, when they are young, still developing, they're systems not fully matured need to be protected from toxins, NOT introduced....how the parent we are to assist in giving the child good health till that child grows up and decides they too will smoke and drink and do whatever but age is a big thing, little children depend on us, their parent to protect them and frankly KNOW BETTER. It all boils down to what is good for the child and the responsibility of the parent. Smoking a bong with the child there, no ventilation,,,,,PISSES ME OFF to be honest with you. The child is helpless. It is up to us as parents to protect our children and not allow our addictions hurt the little ones.

kittin002002
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 4:23 AM

I would call and report her annomosly because even though I believe she has a right to choose what she does to her body but its crossing a line when the child is getting a contact buzz.  I agree w/ a pp saying its one step away from passing the child the bong and who is to say that hasnt happened yet.  Ive experimented in my day and i know the stupid choices that r made that r funny at the time.

CafeMom Tickers
JessNash26
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I'm with everyone who says she needs to be reported.  I used to smoke pot heavily when I was younger, but do I think it's ok for a child to be exposed to it?  Absolutely NOT!  It's one thing to make the choice to smoke pot when you're older and have the ability to make the decision to smoke away those brain cells....but for the love of God, she's a child!  Give her the chance to have some brain cells before she can choose or choose not to do that on her own in the future!  It broke my heart reading your post, and I sincerely hope that you do the right thing and report her...family or not.  It's obvious that since your husband has already argued with them over it that they're beyond "talking to" about it.  Take the high road (no pun intended) and be an advocate for this little girl, seeing as her parents are not going to make the right choices for her.  Anonymously report it or not...you will be doing the right thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)