• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So scared!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 355 Total Views

So I went to my 35 week appointment today and I expressed to my doctor that im pretty sure she isnt in a head down position. I am pretty positive that she is transverse: laying sideways like across my belly with her feet on my side and her head on my other side. I asked him when does she have to turn..he told me one more week, then we might have to schedule a c-section if she doesnt turn. So in two weeks we have our next visit and he will check then and let me know if we need to do a c section. Im terrified cause I dont want one...at all! Anybody else has a baby that isnt head down? Any excersises I can do, or anything for that matter, to get her to turn head down? Ugh.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
L3oMom
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

This happened to me with my first child, I ended up having a c-section.  Sometimes they can try to turn the baby, thats always an option.  I decided against it because of the risks.  You never know, baby may still turn so don't get upset just yet and to be honest, a c-section isn't really all that bad.

krip1010
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM

HI. My little one was transverse and then breech at my 32 week appt. They told me she was so big that they doubted she had room to flip. They said my only hope was to drink TONS of water to make sure she had the room to turn. I drank almost 2 gallons a day for 2 weeks. I went back for my 34 week yesterday, and sure enough she flipped! They were going to schedule me for a c-section if she hadn't but she did. My daughter was also breech and she turned at 36 weeks! There is still hope! Even if they schedule the c-section, they should check before they actually do the proocedure. Good luck!

AidanCamsMom
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM

There have been alot of women that ask in the pregnancy group about how to get baby to turn and they all suggest spinningbabies.com. You might want to check that out!

erika_wright
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

your baby can turn at any point, even if they are head down they can flip back. i dont think that baby not being turned at 36 weeks is reason for a scheduled c-section. i think if they gave the baby more time it would be better.

theycan try to do a version and turn the baby, which is easier when they are transverse rather than full breech. talk to your doctor about ALL your options. c-section is easier for them, so its what they will suggest.

JeresMom
by Group Admin on May. 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM

I second this!

http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/all-positions/sideways

Techniques to correct a transverse lie when the belly seems tight

Things you can do yourself:

•    Use the Inversion off the couch, as shown in the video, for 30 seconds, 2-3 x a day,
or
•    Do the Breech Tilt for 5-10 minutes, 2-3 times a day. (Dr. Carol Phillips says the ironing board technique is not as effective as the forward leaning inversion.)
•    Stand on your head in a pool of warm water, such as a backyard swimming pool or a therapeutic pool at a hospital or rehabilitation center. Some hotels will let you join a swimmer’s club.

When you are using an inversion by laying on your back, the Breech Tilt,  you can place a very cold item, like frozen veggies wrapped in a thin dish towel (don't freeze your skin!) on your abdomen in the place that is BEHIND and ABOVE the baby's head. At the same time, place a very warm item, like a toasty rice sock, BELOW and IN FRONT OF baby's face. We are hoping that the baby moves towards the warmth.So the warmth must also be between the baby's face and the pubic bone. The warm object can be right over the pubic bone if the baby's head is down by the hip socket, almost to the brim. This is a helpful addition to other techniques and is not likely to work just by itself. Inversions are recommended unless your bodyworker or care giver says specifically that you have medical reasons not to do an inversion.

Adjust the placement of the warm and cold items according to your individual situation. For instance, you might know from an ultrasound where the placenta is. Putting warm or cold items on top of the placenta may not be effective. Don't worry if you don't know where your placenta is.

Inversion is an excellent thing to do, but may not be enough on its own. If using the inversion doesn't work after 3-4 days, when you are 32 or more weeks pregnant, then I would suggest getting professional body work. See more about this lower down in this article, and see more fun things to help baby flip head down under the Breech category.

Release your psoas muscles.

• You can help by taking brisk walks. Swing the weight of your legs from the thigh. Each day, lay on the floor on your back for no more than ten minutes with your ankles resting on a chair. Your knees are bent to a 90-degree angle.  Breath slow and deep from your belly. See your belly rise and fall like a sleeping toddler.
  • There are several yoga extensions of the legs that help.
  • Massaging your own psoas is quite effective. Also, a myofascial massage person, or a chiropractor who includes hands on massage, pressure point release, etc. can accelerate your psoas release with their skills.
  • Wear a pregnancy belt to actually give a slight pressure that may relax the abdomen. The "slope" of the abdomen with a belt, supports the baby dropping down into the pelvic brim.

These techniques will relax your psoas muscles over time.

If the womb seems tight around the baby (chronically, not just during Braxton-Hicks contractions) in pregnancy, then professional help is needed.

Quoting AidanCamsMom:

There have been alot of women that ask in the pregnancy group about how to get baby to turn and they all suggest spinningbabies.com. You might want to check that out!

CafeMom Tickers
L3oMom
by Member on May. 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I hope baby turns for you, mine was stubborn and they did an ultrasound right before my c-section and she was still breech.  That should have been an indication to the hardheaded child she was going to become lol.  My opinionated little girl.

asnerakmommyto2
by Member on May. 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM

My little girl was transverse, but I think she might be turning down...I don't know, before I was sure about her position and the doc confirmed but she keeps moving around...so indecisive! My doc told me that getting on hands and knees and rocking back and forth is supposed to encourage them to turn down, I still have to do it though. Guess I should get on that since my 35wk appt is next week ;o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)