Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips and Advice

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 262 Total Views

Here is a place where we can share any advice or tips we have when it comes to hiking.

Lynda,

Group Owner of -
Coast to Coast Hiking Adventures

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
supersquirrel
by Member on Apr. 30, 2009 at 3:38 AM

We all like to think we know what we are doing but we never know when we may need certain items.  So in my opinion you can only prepare for what you think might happen for each expedition.  After all, with children every outing is an expedition.

1. Know the trail.  Map, destination, and time frame.

2. Know your children.  Snacks, diapers, clothing, and water.

3.  First-aid ( the thing we never want to have to use!)

4.  Always know the way back to the car and that retreat is ok.  The trail will be there another day.

5.  Cell phone.

This all sounds logical, does anyone else have anything to add?

Cheryl

libragirl676
by Group Owner on Apr. 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Cheryl - those are very good tips and advice. I would add to that to make sure that you have plenty of:

1. Water for everyone.

2. Sunscreen!

3. Snacks like trail mix, driet fruit, or jerky.

4. Your camera with charged batteries.

5. Protective hats or sunglasses.

That is all I can think of for now, again just like your tips these are pretty logical. If anyone else has anything to add - feel free! =)

Lynda,

Group Owner of - 
Coast to Coast Hiking Adventures

jewelrydesigner
by on May. 1, 2009 at 12:41 PM

The only real thing I can think to add right now is a back carrier for small chidren that can't keep up. No strollers! I have seen so many parents try to put their kids in strollers on trails that aren't paved. We put our youngest in a back carrier and it's a lifesaver.  My daughter(middle child) is also small enough in weight she can fit if necessary.

Oh, one more thing I just recently learned.. if you take children camping when it's still cold out buy a really good sleeping bag for them ,like ones rated to 20 degrees or lower. We bought cheap ones from Walmart and there best if used indoors for pretend camping. My children were so cold in those we had to put them in the car and run it all night to keep them warm.

That was the first itme we've camped with our children and we will be doing it again soon so if anyone has advice in that area for me feel free!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)