• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Private or Public Group

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

What advantages or disadvantages are there for group owners  when choosing to make your group public or private. 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bearsjen
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I can only speak for myself and oine of the groups I own. It is private because its small and the moms share very personal, and many times painful information that they do not want "strangers" reading. If we were to leave the group to publin all this info would be available not to mentioned we get slammed with applications. so its just easier for me to make it private and then every so many months we may open it to new members for a a week or so,l then set it to private again.

smokeybear
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Considering CM "bought" private groups this past year.  Does that mean they do not have to have a discussion with the GO of a public group?   Can they just take it over?

AzariahsMother
by Graphic Love on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I agree.  My groups are not to small but we do share a lot of private and personal information that you don't want to be shared with everyone.  Plus I think sometimes members are more comfortable knowing that their information is not being shared with the world.  It's also another way to keep out trollers. 

Quoting Bearsjen:

I can only speak for myself and oine of the groups I own. It is private because its small and the moms share very personal, and many times painful information that they do not want "strangers" reading. If we were to leave the group to publin all this info would be available not to mentioned we get slammed with applications. so its just easier for me to make it private and then every so many months we may open it to new members for a a week or so,l then set it to private again.

smokeybear
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM

bumpcafemom team, why are you ignoring my question/post?

Cafe Amber
by on Apr. 6, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Quoting smokeybear:

Considering CM "bought" private groups this past year.  Does that mean they do not have to have a discussion with the GO of a public group?   Can they just take it over?

We don't "take over" groups without making contact with the group owner first.  :) 

Even if a group owner isn't active in the group, we always try to contact her before finding a replacement group owner. 

drinking

Cafe Amber

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)