Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Rising Star of the Week: The Dharma Initiative

Posted by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM
  • 4 Replies

Well, it's all over.  This week was the last episode of Lost.  In honor of the series end, our featured group of the week is The Dharma Initiative!  This group has been able to get on the Rising Stars list and stays active.  The group owner IhartU took some time to share with us a few tips about her group.  She also will share with us what her future plans are since LOST is over!   

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I actually own three groups here at cafe mom and my first one I've had for about 2 years. The Dharma Initiative is a little over a year old as was started as a group for those LOST fans who really got into dissecting the elements of the show and wanted to discuss them with other fans.

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group? 

Have patience! That to me is the most important tip. A group very rarely grows and becomes active over night; most of the time it takes time.

Keep in  touch with all of your members and let them know how much you appreciate them.

Have a few great admins you can trust 100%. You can't do everything yourself, and it helps if you have one or two friends you can bounce ideas off and that will also be there whenever you need them.

What things do you think you did to get your group on the Rising Stars list? 

Well, I understand my members and what they want, and if I don't on a certain subject, I will take the time to ask them in a poll or in a message. Your group has to be a place where people want to come; where they feel safe, like they belong and that they have a voice.

Since your group is a fan group of a show that is no longer on the air, what are your future plans for the group to keep it active and growing?

This has been really hard on not only me, but all of the members. We're so close and the show LOST was the glue that held us together. I feel though that we've grown very close as friends and even though the show is over, we will continue to come together in the group because we enjoy each others company.

I let the members decide where the group should go, and we all made the decision to make the group all about Entertainment- tv, movies, books, news, music and so on but with a LOST forum still in place. I think they appreciated that I made them part of the process and ultimately placed my trust in their decision.

We are still trying to decide on a name and I hope to have that in place soon.

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Being a group owner is not always fun and games, but in the end, it's all worth it. Remember: your group is a reflection of you, and always treat your members with respect!

by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MichelleK41
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

way to go                                you rock

Twilight_Momfia
by on May. 28, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I will diffenetly breath in your tips! My goal for my group to reach Rising Star!Thank you for sharing! {hugs}

smokeybear
by on May. 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

congratulations  Awesome attitude!!!

IhartU
by on May. 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Thank you everyone! big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN