Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Expert Group of the Week: 40 ish and Beyond

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM
  • 15 Replies

briefcase

CafeMom is for moms of all shapes, sizes, and ages, but on occasion a mom might still have a hard time finding a spot that is just right for her.  That's what happened to the group owner of this weeks expert group, dana63.  After seeing a need for a group for moms over 40, she created her group 40ish and Beyond.  It has grown and grown!  I asked dana63 to share a few tips with us.  I hope they help!

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active? Topics of interest for woman in our age group. Word of mouth that we have a sisterhood that is everlasting. We treat each member like family and we go beyond CM to help if we can. A GREAT admin team who can spot trouble and nip it in the bud before grows. We just wanna have fun and we do!! We also do homepage hopping to let a sister know that we are thinking about them, even if they left the group we still go and say hi!

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group? I started 40ish and beyond May 13, 2007 because CM didn't have a group for older woman. I contacted CM several times even after I formed the group to let them know that there is a need for woman in our age group to have supoort as well. Just because most of us have children that are grown don't mean we don't have experience at motherhood. And some of us are just starting our families and we have some ( like myself) who are starting over with adoption. We are mature and experienced and have a lot of advice to give.

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group?  Make sure you make a group that woman will want to flock to. Keep it interesting by having your post flowing and changing them out as often as you can. Keep it real, don't expect your members to post daily to keep their membership, they have a life outside CM and shouldn't have to feel pressure to post/reply daily. Make sure your prepared to be an active GO and if you can't then have an active admin team. Have fun!!

Anything else you would like to share with us? I have been blessed this last three years to have an active, fun group. I know when my day has been stressful I will go in the group and someone has posted something that will make us laugh. I have to say my group isn't perfect but we have a lot of love and support. Come join us for some coffee and brownies and let's talk! ~ Hope to see you there!!

by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crystees_mom
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Congratulations Dana!!!

ARmom
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Congratulations Dana!
I really like you're idea of homepage hopping. 
I'm 'only' 35, but I can't wait to join your group when I'm 40!  LOL
Keep up the great work!

dana63
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Quoting ARmom:

Congratulations Dana!
I really like you're idea of homepage hopping. 
I'm 'only' 35, but I can't wait to join your group when I'm 40!  LOL
Keep up the great work!

Come on in we allow sisters that are 35 as well..

Thank you!

Make your dreams come true just by following them!!  ~~ I do have fibromyalgia and RA But it will NEVER have me!" ~~ Come have some fun with the ladies in 40ish and beyond, www.cafemom.com/group/7446 ( tell the girls momma sent ya!!) }!{

dana63
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Quoting crystees_mom:

Congratulations Dana!!!

Thank you my sister!

Make your dreams come true just by following them!!  ~~ I do have fibromyalgia and RA But it will NEVER have me!" ~~ Come have some fun with the ladies in 40ish and beyond, www.cafemom.com/group/7446 ( tell the girls momma sent ya!!) }!{

smokeybear
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM
dana63
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Quoting smokeybear:

congratulationsCongratulations Dana!!!

Thank you Arlene, You are a part of that great team that keeps us going!! Thank you for all you do!! :)

smokeybear
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM

blowing kisses

Quoting dana63:

Quoting smokeybear:

congratulationsCongratulations Dana!!!

Thank you Arlene, You are a part of that great team that keeps us going!! Thank you for all you do!! :)

Alieda
by Christian Bookworm on Jun. 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Congs

dana63
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Quoting Alieda:

Congs

Thank you!

MichelleK41
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 7:15 AM

way to go                                                    you rock

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN