Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Expert Group of the Week: Stay at Home Moms

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM
  • 1 Replies

All moms work hard, and stay at home moms are no exception, our expert group of the week is full of hard working stay at home moms, and the group owner took a moment to share with us some of her group owning secrets.  Let's find out a little more about this group, and what makes it a success on CafeMom!

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active?
We are one of the few groups that do not advertise. At all!! We don't have to at this point. Word of mouth does it for us! As far as mantaining activity, we have lots of regulars who post things about their daily lives a lot. Sort of an ongoing journaling experience. We also hold special contests around Holidays and feature moms so we can get to know them better. We also constantly get feedback from our members as to how we can improve.

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I did not start the group. I am the third Owner (I Think lol!!.. it's a tough group heehee) My team and I have run it for a little over a year. I was an admin before that.

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group?
-Don't get discouraged. It takes time to grow a group and for word of mouth to spread.
-Provide fun things to chat about and hot topics that most everyone can partake in
-Provide a safe haven. If your group tends to run a little dramatic like ours, make sure you have firm rules and admins who are willing to enforce those rules. Our members need to feel safe at all times when posting.
I have two additional tips:
-Don't spam members with PMs about joining your group. Have a siggy made and become more active in your current groups.They will feel like they know you better that way and want to join your group.
-
Always keep a line of communication open and don't take criticism personally. You can't please everyone all the time!

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?
I would hope they go away with a better knowledge of who they really are at the end of the day. We share a lot of personal stories in our group. We also provide good info and helpful advice. All in all, our members really enjoy our group. And I know a lot of members have made lasting, personal friendships.

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Be prepared for anything. I mean ANYTHING. A trustworthy and reliable admin team is a MUST. Another good idea is having the regulars you see on the boards all the time get "promoted" to chat moderators. They don't enforce the rules, but do keep threads and chats going. Keeps the group lively and fun. It also provides people with a few regular friendly faces that keep the group fresh and comfortable.

by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Liansmommie
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Congratulations!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)