Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Friends Group of the Week: FriendshipCafe

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM
  • 4 Replies

What a better place to find a good friend then in the FriendshipCafe?  Our friends group of the week is all about friends, and it sounds like a great place!  Let's check out some of the tips the group owner had to share with us:

Share with us a little about you-- how long have you been a CafeMom member, and what does your screen name mean?  FriendshipCafe has only been a member of CM for a few short months.  The screen name is just a name picked to go along with the group FriendshipCafe'.

Now, tell us a little about your group- how long have you owned it, and what made you start it? I have owned FriendshipCafe' since the middle of March.  I always long for friendships because I am someone that suffers with Social Anxiety.  I long for those close, long lasting types of friendships where you know that no matter what you need or when you need it, you have someone that is there for you.  So, I started this group.  The only thing that I have to offer that the ladies seem to enjoy are my siggies/tags.  I enjoy making them and knowing that they are helping to brighten someone's day.

Is your groups primary focous friendships? I started the group primarily for friendship, yes.  However, the friendship part of the group does not seem to be a big area.  The ladies enjoy collecting siggy/tags and we try to grow our friendships from that aspect.  

What do you do in your group to encourage friendships to be made?

There is only so much that anyone can do.  I try to encourage the ladies to take part in fun and silly games, share stories from their lives and what not.  I have even tried having a section in the group for disucssing books that we have read or are currently reading and have had a section for talking about our favorite tv shows or movies.  These areas were not that big a success though.

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

I am hoping that they are gaining some friendships from the group.  It is my hope to help them get to know one another better by having a mom of the week who is also a HotSeat member.  This allows the other members to ask questions to that member in hopes of getting to know her better. I hope that they know that they can always come in to FriendshipCafe' and know that no matter what they are dealing with in their lives, they always have a friend waiting with open arms.

Are there any other tips you would like to give a group that might just be starting out?  Don't give up.  It is easy to get frustrated shortly after starting a group because the membership numbers are not that great or there is no participation, however, keep moving forward and be patient because things will eventually turn around.

I hope these responses are okay for you.  Running a group is always a work in progress.  The "friendship" areas of the group do not always go over that well.  So you just have to weed out certain things that don't work, focus on areas that do and keep trying new things.  Things will eventually click.

Leigha group owner of FriendshipCafe'

by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Cenedra64
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM

congratulationsIt's a very pleasant name for a group too.  

tvschiulaz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Congrats on being the friend group of the week!

smokeybear
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM

congratulationsCONGRATULATIONS LEIGHA!!!

MichelleK41
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM

way to go                              congratulations

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)