Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Expert Group of the Week: All About Hair and Make-up

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

briefcase

Are you needing some Hair and Make up tips?  Then you might want to visit the All About Hair and Make up group!  They have been on CafeMom for a while, and would love to share some tips with you.  For now, let's hear what the group owner wants to share with us about her group. 

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active?

In order to get more members I would add a nice signature to the bottom of all my posts. I also had a pretty and colorful banner made up for myself and all my group members which I was personalizing with their names on it. This way they could spread the word using their personalized banners as signatures as well. I even posted a section about my group near the top of my profile with the clickable banner and the number of members we currently have! Getting members is one thing but keeping them active is entirely another. I am lucky to have some pretty active Ladies in the group. I try to keep things fun by having contests and posting videos. I send out bulletins once in a while as a reminder to some that we are still around if they want to enjoy some chatting.

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I have been the owner of this group for close to 2 years now I believe. Funny thing is... I am a Makeup Artist by trade for the past 10 years now and I had been wanting to start a beauty group on CafeMom but there were already so many other ones out there. So I decided to join All About Hair & Makeup instead. Shortly after that, I got a message from the original owner of the group asking me to take over the group because she was no longer going to be online. So I did and it has been a blast and we have grown tremendously since then!!! It was meant to be.

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group? 

Absolutely make a signature with a clickable link to your new group! This way when others see your posts they get curious and click your link. Also post something about your group on your profile to advertise it. And don't forget to invite your friends and ask them to do the same. NOTE: Do NOT spam other groups or people soliciting members... this will only turn people away and it is not polite.

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

I believe that these lovely women come here to enjoy a fun atmosphere and not to feel judged. Some come to share their tips and exciting buys and others come to get tips/opinions from other Moms. Many Moms have questions about hair or makeup in general and they know that they will get nothing but honest and helpful responses. Many members have shared with me that they learn alot from the women in our group and are very appreciative. This always puts a smile on my face.

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Having a large active group is very rewarding emotionally but also requires some help. I would highly recommend getting some administrators to help you because as Group Owners we are only one person and can only do so much. It is hard being Moms and being online everyday. However, it is important to make sure the group is running smoothly and that there is no drama taking place. Because drama will cause the group to lose members. I have a set of rules that everyone is aware of and Myself and my Admins. do not tolerate trouble makers in the group. This keeps everyone happy and active! Best of luck to you all! Blessings, Diana

by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GypsyEyezNY
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

YAY!!!! Thank you for featuring our group! What an blessing! Ladies, feel free to join us! We would love to have you. We have a great bunch of women who are very friendly and helpful!

Mama_Mandy085
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM

This is an honor for our group. We are a close bunch of ladies who love anything beauty and I personally have made quite a few great friends out of this group. We would love new members who love beauty as much as wel do. thank you so much for choosing our group for expert group of the week!

Divamom6
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Diana you know so much about makeup and beauty you rock!
good

Mochaqua
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

This group is great cause you can get honest opinions about hair and make-up, great group more people should join.

suej27
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM

the thing that makes our group so fantastic is the fact that there are so many members you'd be surprised of all the thing and tricks and knowledge we all have, and when we come together ... it's great.  we get members that are just looking for a change in hair style or color or are now starting out to branch out of their comfort zone and try on some color eyeshadows and we all jump in and try to give the best advise that we can.  don't get me wrong, if we feel you need a little more practice we'll let you know.  because our members are from all over the states and possibly other countries, someone is bound to know something about a product you've been dying to try or the way to achieve a specific look, I mean, we have so much going on !!  so ... come join the fun !!

DKVmom
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM

YAY love this group!

pregipop
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I joined because I am always interested in learning new tricks. I'm a hairdresser and work freelance right now. I love hearing about the mommy makeovers!

AngelBear5221
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I am back!

angelicash85
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM

YAYE!!!! This is awesome!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)