Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Expert Group of the Week: Photo Moms

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM
  • 0 Replies

briefcase

Photo Moms

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active?

I actually was given the group after the previous owner couldn't keep up with it any longer, so growing it wasn't something I put a lot of work into for the first 1500 or more members!
We are really geared towards the mom who wants to learn  seriously about photography. Wether they want to be a professional or not doesn't matter. It's all about learning how to control the camera and make beautiful photographs. MANY of us are dipping into the new "big camera" market these days and want to learn how to use them. We offer that and a whole lot more.
We keep up to date information on the camera world posted, lessons, advice, ANSWERS. CONSTANTLY! The answers are the biggest thing in the group. These women want to know how to do some of the cool photo techniques and they ask. We answer or find them the answer.

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I have owned the group for about a year now. I was given the group as I mentioned before. I wanted the group because I had been working diligently in it teaching and helping on a daily basis. I had put a lot of educational materials in there and actually "grew" some professionals from the time they were working with a simple point and shoot camera all of the way through their education to becoming a professional photographer of amazing skill. I am beyond proud of the accomplishments of those women and honored to take part in it. This is my way of giving back what I had a few people give to me many moons ago. I love to teach!

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group?

Wow, I honestly do not know. Be firm in your guidelines. Be gracious and welcoming. Admit your mistakes and learn from them. Avoid the drama or you are destined to have a headache. Surround yourself with admin's that fill in your weaknesses.  

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

Well, seeing how I have grown my own professional photographers right here in the group I think they take home a pretty expensive and thorough education in photography. The ones who don't want to be professionals ever have some of the most amazing photos of their children which are memories that a lot of kids don't have!

by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)