Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Most Friends Group of the Week: Living Room Cafe

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

living room ladies

Share with us a little about you-- how long have you been a CafeMom member, and what does your screen name mean?

I joined CafeMom in June 2007 with a bunch of friends.

I wish I could tell you some great story about my screen name, but it has absolutely no meaning whatsoever. I got it from a random username generator.  The only part of any significance is the "horse" part. I love horses, and worked professionally in the horse industry for over 20 years.

Now, tell us a little about your group- how long have you owned it, and what made you start it?

The Living Room Ladies began in February 2008.  We started it because we wanted a group where members could share details about their personal lives without the fear of being attacked or cyberstalked.  The group was started by another member, Karamille, who transferred ownership to me last year so that she could concentrate on her young son and starting a new business.

Is your groups primary focous friendships?   

Oh yes!  The members of LRL were friends for several years before we started Living Room Ladies.  We all met in another forum in 2005-2006 while we were pregnant. We experienced our pregnancies together, the birth of our children, miscarriages :(, subsequent pregnancies, some divorces, a (very recent!) marriage.  We've been through a lot together, but we are all truely friends and we encourage and support each other 100%. At this point I don't think anyone considers the other members just an "internet friend." We are all truly friends.

What do you do in your group to encourage friendships to be made?

I have to say that we are all amazed that we've been one of Cafemom's most friendliest groups since this statistic was first published.  It's certainly hasn't been something we've pushed for. The friendships in our group developed naturally because of mutual respect and a common interest.  We are a drama-free group so members are comfortable sharing the intimate details of their life without the fear of being bashed or intimidated.  We come from different parts of the world,different educational and economic backgrounds, but in the end we resect that we are all moms trying to give our children the best upbringing we possibly ca. 

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

We all know that we have group of  friends to share our joys, or to hold our hand when we are low.

Are there any other tips you would like to give a group that might just be starting out?

The quality of friendships doesn't come from the size of your group, it comes from the quality of your members. Don't be afraid to remove members that don't share your group's vision.

by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JohnnySophiamom
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Very cool!

SonyaM
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Neato!

Jambo4
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I think my group has been on the "friendship list" one time.  Is there a lot of outside the group convo going on?  Is that what keep you on the list?

MomToBeISaMom
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM

This is a wonderful group!

Emberbaby
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Nice!!!!

M2TandM
by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Quoting Jambo4:

I think my group has been on the "friendship list" one time.  Is there a lot of outside the group convo going on?  Is that what keep you on the list?

We are all preety much on each others facebook pages too. We swap xmas cards and presents and members also send each other outgrown clothes etc.

Liansmommie
by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Wow lots of support. Congrats!

Read Our Journal For Daily Tips and Tutorials
Find A Group or Promote One In
Our
Group Guide Directory
If you have any CafeMom questions, don't hesitate to ask. 
~~I'm New Here @ CM Owner

Linds2Horse
by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Quoting M2TandM:

Quoting Jambo4:

We are all preety much on each others facebook pages too. We swap xmas cards and presents and members also send each other outgrown clothes etc.

Exactly. Our friendship was fostered on Cafemom, but now it extends well beyond the cafemom.com url.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN