Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Expert Group of the Week: Medical Questions

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM
  • 0 Replies

Medical Questions

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active?

I was very lucky, I took over the group when the original owner left CafeMom. So,I inherited an established group. Our group is also uniquein the fact that it's a question-based group, not a sharing-type group. I believe our members stay active because they a feel they are helping other moms get the answers they need.

Our group will keep growing because as Mom's our loved ones always have health issues that we need information about.  

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I have owned this group for about a year now. I offered to take the group over to keep it going strong because I realized how many mom's out there just need a little information, reassurance or support with health issues.

One reason I wanted to keep this group alive was because all to often when we sit in the doctors office we don'trealize what questions to ask, so we get home and don't have all the information we need. Moms are a great wealth of information, giving others "tricks of the trade" that help them take care of the health of their own families. This is a great forum to get  information from moms who have already been thru the same experience.

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group? 

1.) Do your homework: search the groups on CafeMom and make sure there aren't a bunch of groups that cover the same topic. Your group might not grow as fast as you'd like iff there are too many other groups of the same topic

2.) Don't try to force people to post/participate: conversation is either going to happen of it's not. Keep in mind that we all have lives off the Internet, and sometime that life has to take precedent. Don't take it personally if people are posting like crazy... they joined because they were interested in your topic, it just maybe that they don't have anything to say just yet.

3.) have clear and concise guidelines, but don't be so rigid that you can't make a change if something isn't working out quite right. And, be fair and polite if you find that you have to "referee" an issue.

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

I hope they come away with the solutions and answers they come looking for. Above anything I hope they feel supported and knowledgeable about the issue at hand.

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Keep in mind that you may have started your group, but it's your members that keep things going. Be sure to check in with them every once in a while!! Bulletins are great for this, and for getting lax members to pop back in!!

Peace & Health to you all

~ Morgain ;o)

by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)