Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Expert Group of the Week: Dave Ramsey Fans

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM
  • 13 Replies

Dave Ramsey Fans

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active?

Dave Ramsey is a money guru who teaches people how to get out of debt and save for the future. So logically the Dave Ramsey Fan's group is where moms can get together and share their joy and frustration as they follow the Dave Ramsey plan.

Since we're all striving to be better off financially having an active group isn't very hard. There's always someone to give you a recipe or cheap meal ideas. We've even got volunteers that can help members with their budgets.

I'll admit that some of our members have stumbled upon our group by accident. Yet a lot of them stay. Everyone can use a little motivation when it comes to money management.

We also rely on word of mouth to help our group grow. We've had members write journals about their journey to becoming debt free. A lot of our members have tickers showing how much they have paid off, or Debt free siggies. I imagine that non group members see these things and think, "Hey I could do that too" or "I wonder how they did that" and then they join.

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I wasn't the original group owner. But I searched out the group after hearing so much about this Dave Ramsey guy in other money groups. It is nice to have other people out there that understand what it means to be "gazelle intense" (another way of saying be focused) or "I'm on 'Baby step number two' " (pay off all debt except the mortgage.)

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group? 

Once you have a few members and your getting to know them start asking for volunteers to help with certain things. You can't do it all. And you don't have to make all of them admins. But ask for help. It gets the members more involved, and it gives you a small break.

Let the conversations flow. Their are small tangents to every group. Our group may be focused on personal finances, but that can lead into other conversations. It's okay for people to write things that are slightly off topic.

Show your appreciation. If questions get answered and problems resolved without you being there, thank the person (or people) involved in fixing it. Again they may not be admins, but just tell them that you noticed and that you're grateful for the help.

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

Motivation, inspiration, support, and as always the, "you're not alone" replies. We understand when people fall of the wagon, especially with the whole getting out of debt thing. Most of us have been there done that. But instead of letting members sit on the side lines, we encourage members to get back up and keep trying. It also helps that we have members in our group that have made it out on the other side. Sometimes the grass really is greener over there.

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Come join us! You don't have to be a Dave Ramsey fan to find helpful information in our group. We've got members that can help you with a menu plan, budget, a cheap birthday party. Even just a money vent. We're there for you :)

by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

One my favorite groups!!!

mybratsmom
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM

My all time favorite group!!  I can always count on this group for support of any kind!

MomToBeISaMom
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 3:04 PM

BUMP!

Taviesmommy
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM

This is a fabulous group! Always great advice :)

Erica_Smerica
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM

group hug

mommystiebler
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM

My reason for getting on CM everyday!

My_3_Babies
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 8:54 PM

BUMP!

Punkie74
by on Oct. 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM

This is a truly amazing group of women. It's one of the few places on CM I have really seen people who are completely non-judgemental! No matter if you're coming in completely broke and up to your neck in debt or debt free and living the dream there is always someone to offer a kind word, advice or encouragement!!

Candi1024
by on Oct. 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

BUMP!

Erica_Smerica
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 12:19 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)