Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

New Group of the Week: Let's Read! Children's Educational Books & Learning

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM
  • 1 Replies

Let's Read! Children's Educational Books & Learning

Tell us a little about you- how long have you been a CafeMom member and what does your Screen name mean?

Hmm..I think I have been a CafeMom member for about 8 months or so now, I really enjoy the community here. It's so great being able to connect and relate to other Moms you have things in common with! My screen name, is actually my name..I've never been good at coming up with nicknames for such things, so I decided to simply use my name.

Give us the scoop on your group- what drove you to start it, and what is your vision for the group?

I started the Let's Read! Group because I felt there was a need for a group solely dedicated to childrens books and reading. There used to be another similar group, but in the past few months it was shut down and turned into something else..I'm very passionate when it comes to reading with children, and I like to share that with others as much as possible. I'm an educational consultant, and I work with parents, schools, libraries and so on to help encourage reading and assist them in buying wonderful books that get into the hands of ALL children, not just some. I also work with Toys for Tots every year to make this happen. My family volunteers to collect donations and then we're able to ensure the books I represent end up in homes where children may not otherwise be able to own such books. It's a very rewarding feeling, and I would not trade it for anything. Okay now I'm babbling I fear!!

So overall, my vision for the group is to have members that share their knowledge and resources with one another, have fun and work together to promote literacy.

What areas are you having a hard time in with your group?  Is part of owning a group more challenging then you thought?

For the most part, the only thing I have found hard with the group is finding members. I feel the group will be a great resource to moms with children of all ages as well as moms that homeschool, have gifted children, or special needs children. So I'm hoping in time the word will spread and we will grow!

The group is already loaded with great info, polls, games, and giveaways. We're having a costume contest and the winner will get a free copy of a Spooky Sticker Book, and we're also giving away a book for every 100 members we get!

What is one thing you hope your members will gain by being a part of your group?

I hope that moms from all walks of life will see just how easy it is to make time for reading to the children in their lives as well as encouraging older children to read. A love for books and reading is so important! Our children can explore the world around them, expand their horizons and gain SO much from books!

Do you have any other questions we can help you with?

I don't believe so, I do appreciate Let's Read! being featured as a new group, thanks so much.

by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tvschiulaz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

congratulations ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN