Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

Expert Group of the Week: Fans of Stephanie Meyer and her Twilight Series

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

Fans of Stephanie Meyer and her Twilight Series

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active?

I used an attractive group siggy that was linked to my group to advertise it when I was starting it up.  I also made some group badges to post in the group with instructions on how to link them to the group which group members could then take to use as siggies or to post on their homepages. 

The best way to get a group to grow and be a success though is to choose a topic that will be of broad interest.  When I was naming my group I didn't name it 'Twilight Series Fans' because I think that's too narrow.  'Fans of Stephenie Meyer' seemed too elusive to those who were just hearing about Twilight because of the bits and pieces of movie news that was just beginning to pop up around the internet.  Instead I joined the two topics and created 'Fans of Stephenie Meyer and Her Twilight Series'.  Now the group is not only for those who love the Twilight books and movies but also those who love her and her other work, such as The Host.

Also don't forget to invite your friends if you know they will enjoy the topic as well.

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I have been a group owner since early 2007 though I started 'Fans of Stephenie Meyer and Her Twilight Seires' on January 12, 2008.  I had just finished reading what was out of the series and wanted to see if there were any other adult fans out there.  I did a search here and only one group came up.  It was a small group dedicated specifically to Twilight itself which, as I stated, wasn't what I was really looking for, so I decided to start my own.  

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group? 

1. Choose an interesting and slightly broad topic and be creative in your group descriptions, both the small summary (which will show on the internet if your group comes up in someones search of your group's topic) as well as the long.

2.  Get a nice group siggy and link it to your group to usea around Cafemom.  If you can't make one go to a siggy group and request one.  The siggy groups here are great and have amazing designers who will even tell you how to link your siggy up if you don't know.

3.  Post.  Be active in your group and don't be afraid to enforce the rules.  If you want people to enjoy your group than you need to enjoy it as well. 

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

Friendships, I hope, as well as the latest information on all things Twilight and Stephenie Meyer related.  A lot of members also learn of other stories and movies that they may be interested in by sharing with each other.  It's just a really fun group to be a part of and the members are fabulous. 

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Owning a group, especially to begin with, is a lot of work.  If you want to do it and you want your group to be a success, you will most likely need to decicate at least an hour a day (or night) to working on making and keeping it successful. 

Admins/Mods are a great tool for helping you achieve your goal of a successful group but remember to choose people who are as dedicated to that as you are.  An admin who isn't going to post or even visit the group is not someone who'll be good for the job.

by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nickolyn
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM

you rock                  

tvschiulaz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Congratulations ladies!

Octobersmom
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Quoting nickolyn:

you rock                  

Nah, we rocka group's nothing without good members :)

nickolyn
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Quoting Octobersmom:

Quoting nickolyn:

you rock                  

well we have plenty of those dont we :)

Liansmommie
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 3:57 AM

I love your siggy!

Quoting Octobersmom:

Quoting nickolyn:

you rock                  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN