Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Group Resource Center CafeMom Group Resource Center

New Group of the Week: Bully Free CafeMom's

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM
  • 2 Replies

Bully Free CafeMom's

Tell us a little about you - how long have you been a CafeMom member and what does your Screen name mean?

CafeMom has been my good friend since 2007. It came into my life when my family was deployed to the other side of the world. Then I was a homeschooling Mom with two Autistic children away in Japan away from everyone I knew, and this place came into my life full of other Mother's with similar interests who gave me an outlet to make the long days easier.

Yes, I am one of those Harry Potter people, who dabbles a bit in Twilight. I'm an avid Historical Fiction reader. I co-write a Fan Fiction Story here on CafeMom as a hobby. I'm fascinated by studying different cultures, religions, and love to learn about the world. I am an eternal optimist, and part time activist who really does want to at least make a difference somewhere.

MaitriTracks as a screen name came from the way I try to live my life. Maitri is the Buddhist Practice of Loving Kindness. It's the life practice of sincere love, sympathy, and good will for all beings in the world. In Maitri, a person works with developing Metta wishes for all friends, enemies, and strangers: that all beings basically be happy, peaceful, safe, free from mental and physical suffering, that they awaken to the light of their true pure nature, and they take care of them self happily. I'm so far from perfect, but I continue to work toward leaving footsteps of loving kindness everywhere I go in life.

Give us the scoop on your group- what drove you to start it, and what is your vision for the group?

Bully Free CafeMom's is a resource group committed to connecting CafeMama's and Groups that are committed to being Bully Free.

Everywhere in the world there is positive as well as negative. CafeMom is no different. Like in life, the negative seems to somehow stand out louder, making itself more prevalent that the positive. Having a full on run in with the that negative can sometimes turn people off to the whole experience. Because the squeaky wheel does tend to be louder, sometimes that is all outsiders looking in see.

It all started with a simple journal post with the challenge for us to be the change we want to see: Be a Bully-Free CafeMom!

One of the awesome Mama's who took the Grassroots challenge suggested starting a group. It was like a light bulb moment. Yeah, it would be great for people and Groups to make a personal commitment, maybe even grabbing the siggie to show they are safe places inside of CM. It would be even more awesome to make a place where these groups and women could come to find each other. From there the group was born.

Bully Free CafeMom's is a hub where someone can come to instantly see positive people and places here they can enjoy a Cyber Bully Free experience inside of CM. It's in it's infancy, but already we have a daily growing directory of CafeMama's and Groups inside.

Inside we have a wealth of CafeMom Resources. We are stocked full of information concerning Bullying and Cyberbullying. There are opportunities for members to share tips and information concerning running groups, handling Cyber Bullying, and other online things. We have snaggables members can add onto their pages to proudly show their stance as Bully Free Cafemom's. There's also a place for us to just kick back, talk, get to know each other, and have fun! Bully Free Cafemom's is about accentuating and connecting the positive inside of CM into an aria that's louder, and a lot more pleasant to the ears, then the squeaky wheel.

What areas are you having a hard time in with your group?  Is part of owning a group more challenging then you thought?

The biggest challenge so far is building trust with people who have been victims of Cyberbullying so they can move past their fear to reach out again after being hurt. Because Cyber Bully's are... well... Bully's, I have to be determined to be mean and use my delete/block/remove options without question and whenever needed. So far I've only had to use it once because it's true, there are a lot more positive, incredible people out there than not.

Building and growing a group takes a lot of work. It takes putting one self out there knowing for every yes, there could be a rejecting no. Getting the word out is always a challenge. Convincing people I am as serious as a heart attack is another. Because I'm taking on the topic I am, protecting the group is a lot more important to me, and takes a lot more vigilance. To me, it's worth it. I wish when I joined CM there was a group like this where I could plug into the community bypassing the negative from the jump. Hopefully, this will help other people be able to do that. 

What is one thing you hope your members will gain by being a part of your group?

A safe place. I'd love members to be able to find the resources and connections they need to plug into and create their own safe place inside of CM. It would be great to arm members with knowledge so that stand strong in confidence with determination to rise above the negative to see more clearly how much more positive there is here - and to put a big, huge, glaring spotlight on that positive!

Do you have any other questions we can help you with?

Not that I can think of. But, thank you so much for this opportunity! I am eternally greatful!

by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
shtteredprnces
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM

This is an incredible group full of ladies and yet absolutely no drama!  What could be better??

tvschiulaz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Congratulations ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)