• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PM Limit??

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

I just took over a group I use to admin in. It's been pretty dead over the past year. In an effort to revive it and clean it up  I was planning on sending a personal PM to each member in the group (though there would be a good portion that was the same from member to member). This is something that has worked good in other groups that I have take over that were dead. 

This can be a huge task especially when you are talking about a group of 500+ members. So I usually start at the last page and move forward and open each send message button in a tab in firefox. This allows me to quickly send the messages. 

I've never had any issue with sending them quickly in the past but last night I couldn't even get through 1 page of members without getting a  error message about having reached the PM limit for the last 10min period. Is this something new?  Is there a way around this so I don't have to spend dozens of hours trying to send pm's to group members?  I really need to get these out so I can give people time to return to the group and then clean up the non-responders by the begining of Oct.  I've sent bulletins and they don't work as nicely as pms.

Anyone have any ideas?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bama_mama07
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:07 PM

BUMP!

Liansmommie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I do know there is a limit but I also know it doesn't usually pop up after twenty pms. Unless you actually sent them so fast it was picked up as a bot.  I have seen some posts about the system reading "unusal activity" on accounts and flagging them.  I usually don't have any problems with sending pages of pms. If you keep getting the error then I would send a message to CM about it.

CristaJordan
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:34 AM
Bulletin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymommy23
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Hi :)   If the group is dead then I would use the bulletin and let them know that you have taken over the group..........and hit the 30 day button to clean out members that are totally inactive.   Also try posting in members chatter boxes :)

AzariahsMother
by Graphic Love on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:55 AM

You can always send a bulletin, post in the group, sending some PM's and chatter boxes.  I know sometimes for me when I send PM's the limit is 10 doing it back to back.  I think if you take a break you should be okay. 

freedommoments
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I did a Bulletin but that definitely doesn't work very well from my past experiences. 

I usually do a manual clean up it lets me set my criteria for deleting members. Also I know of some people who aren't active because of computer issues or internet issues. 

Quoting busymommy23:

Hi :)   If the group is dead then I would use the bulletin and let them know that you have taken over the group..........and hit the 30 day button to clean out members that are totally inactive.   Also try posting in members chatter boxes :)

freedommoments
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Yeah I was hoping to avoid having to spend hours on end sending pm's  there are over  500 people to message....

Quoting AzariahsMother:

You can always send a bulletin, post in the group, sending some PM's and chatter boxes.  I know sometimes for me when I send PM's the limit is 10 doing it back to back.  I think if you take a break you should be okay. 

AzariahsMother
by Graphic Love on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Well as you go through you know that the "unknown" people have not been since they joined the group, so why not just delete.  You can also tell those that were last on June 14th for example I am sure have not logged into CM at all either, so I would delete.  It makes it a little better for clean up.  Trust me I know it's a pain.  I did it when I took over a group, but ya know it also allows you to meet other moms and find those active moms that you do have in the group. 

Quoting freedommoments:

Yeah I was hoping to avoid having to spend hours on end sending pm's  there are over  500 people to message....

Quoting AzariahsMother:

sassymomntx1961
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Well as you go through you know that the "unknown" people have not been since they joined the group, so why not just delete.  You can also tell those that were last on June 14th for example I am sure have not logged into CM at all either, so I would delete.  It makes it a little better for clean up.  Trust me I know it's a pain.  I did it when I took over a group, but ya know it also allows you to meet other moms and find those active moms that you do have in the group. 

Quoting freedommoments:

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Thats what I do when someones profile says unknown for thier last visit and then I delete auto for ppl that have 2 yrs since thier last visit and so on.When I get to a yr then I start sending a msg's

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

misfitdiva
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I agree about bulletin.  I dont even read mine.  Not because I dont want to.  I just dont remember to look at them.

Quoting freedommoments:

I did a Bulletin but that definitely doesn't work very well from my past experiences. 

I usually do a manual clean up it lets me set my criteria for deleting members. Also I know of some people who aren't active because of computer issues or internet issues. 

Quoting busymommy23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)