Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Promote all Cafemom owned groups?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 20 Replies

and very few member owned groups?

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by joy THE COMFORTCAFE on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM
what do you mean ?
ZsMommy
by Crafters 12 Step on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting letstalk747:

what do you mean ?

She means that Cafe now basically promotes Cafe's owned/moderated groups and barely showcases (if ever) the member owned groups.

IE: I had the top Craft group for 2 years prior til cafe made "Craft Cafe" back in 2011...Then shortly after they stopped having my group appear in the top search engine and only showcased their group. They did the same with the Autism group...I used to admin what used to be the largest autism awarness group (with thousands of members)  that was member owned until Cafe created "Autism Support Across the spectrum" also in 2010 (the orig group started in 2007 and actually the owner came from Clubmom and brought her established group over from there) and after that stopped promoting the member owned group and simply promoted theirs.

These are just two examples.

Member owned groups don't get sponsorship $ as Cafe owned groups do.

So you'll see all these sponsored by ads in cafe owned groups...$$$ run cafe-that's why mods in cafe owned groups get incentives (gift cards,$) as opposed to those of us who run successful groups simply for the love our our members.

OP-don't be surprised if this post gets shut down by cafe ince I probably spoke too much on the "reasons"...

TheRoundTable
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

They also have paid admins

This post isn't meant as a negative, i think they should promote member owned groups as well and offer gift cards for games and contests..as they do for CM owned groups...

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting letstalk747:

what do you mean ?

She means that Cafe now basically promotes Cafe's owned/moderated groups and barely showcases (if ever) the member owned groups.

IE: I had the top Craft group for 2 years prior til cafe made "Craft Cafe" back in 2011...Then shortly after they stopped having my group appear in the top search engine and only showcased their group. They did the same with the Autism group...I used to admin what used to be the largest autism awarness group (with thousands of members)  that was member owned until Cafe created "Autism Support Across the spectrum" also in 2010 (the orig group started in 2007 and actually the owner came from Clubmom and brought her established group over from there) and after that stopped promoting the member owned group and simply promoted theirs.

So you'll see all these sponsored by ads in cafe owned groups...$$$ run cafe-that's why mods in cafe owned groups get incentives (gift cards,$) as opposed to those of us who run successful groups simply for the love our our members.

OP-don't be surprised if this post gets shut down by cafe ince I probably spoke too much on the "reasons"...

ZsMommy
by Crafters 12 Step on Sep. 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting TheRoundTable:

They also have paid admins

This post isn't meant as a negative, i think they should promote member owned groups as well and offer gift cards for games and contests..as they do for CM owned groups...

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting letstalk747:

what do you mean ?

TheRoundTable
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Denise
by Head Admin on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Hi Ladies,

We still promote member run groups on the site and in the newsletter, a different member run group is featured everyday.  Member run groups are featured on the site when you click on the Mom Groups & Conversations tab.   

All active member run groups are featured when you search but, we only feature CM run groups at the top of those pages.  We've had issues with featuring member run groups at the top of the search pages because some member run groups are private and when the group becomes inactive, it still appears.  Member run groups are still featured on those pages in order of last activity.

We will continue to think of ways that we can help spread the word about member run groups that are active.

Thank you!

Denise

aneela
by Serious Coupon Swap on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont mind NOT being promoted...since I run an active enough group...but it would be nice if CM would throw some GC's to the most active groups now and then :P

heavensdaughter
by Anne on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

When I started as an admin in cwcb there were admin incentives I think because the group was a higher traffic group.  But that stopped over a year ago.  It was a nice little perk and we were all a little disappointed when it went away  :(  I still love adminning though and feel privileged to do it.  There's also the challenged behind running a popular successful group without the help of cm sponsored promo.  I figure as long as I'm doing it, I and my admin team should feel the sense of pride that comes with caring for our group and members well enough to gain membership that way.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting letstalk747:

what do you mean ?

TheRoundTable
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Quoting Cafe Denise:

Hi Ladies,

We still promote member run groups on the site and in the newsletter, a different member run group is featured everyday.  Member run groups are featured on the site when you click on the Mom Groups & Conversations tab.   

All active member run groups are featured when you search but, we only feature CM run groups at the top of those pages.  We've had issues with featuring member run groups at the top of the search pages because some member run groups are private and when the group becomes inactive, it still appears.  Member run groups are still featured on those pages in order of last activity.

We will continue to think of ways that we can help spread the word about member run groups that are active.

Thank you!

Denise

Supplying Gift Cards and other prizes for contests we hold would help

when people join, they are told to try a CM run group...

aneela
by Serious Coupon Swap on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Does CM not check before they promote a group to see that it IS active? Does it cycle through on a certain schedule or something? How does a group get added to the list?

Quoting Cafe Denise:

We've had issues with featuring member run groups at the top of the search pages because some member run groups are private and when the group becomes inactive, it still appears.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)