Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have a playdate group?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM
  • 9 Replies

how do u get the lades active?when is it best to start booting for inactivity?any idea sto encourage the ladies to go

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gennifer_varner
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM

When i noticed alot of post of people whoe like doing crafts together or wanting to meet other laides for playdates for the kids or just to hang out. I started a new forum just for group and get togethers . It really helped get the ball rolling and new i know of at least 3 consistent get togethers a month that are going on since i started that forum.

Cafe Elizabeth
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Quoting gennifer_varner:

When i noticed alot of post of people whoe like doing crafts together or wanting to meet other laides for playdates for the kids or just to hang out. I started a new forum just for group and get togethers . It really helped get the ball rolling and new i know of at least 3 consistent get togethers a month that are going on since i started that forum.

Running a local group certainly has it's own set of rewards and challenges. It's great that your group is now having consistent get togethers! I'm sure other local group owners have questions about how you did it -- beyond just setting up the forums.

Ones that come to my mind are:

• How did you find the CafeMom members to join your group?
  • Did you do any advertising/promotions off of CafeMom? Like in local grocery stores, bulletin boards, word-of-mouth?
  • Where do the playdates meet? Are they grouped by age?

It would be really helpful if anyone with a local group could answer these questions here -- and make this post a resource for other local group owners and admins.

And, marisab -- thank you for starting a post about this important topic!

-- Elizabeth

gennifer_varner
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Well my groups is called Fort Lewis Army Wives so i do have it advertised in the groups on cafe mom but that is it. I don't advertise anywhere except for occasionally telling someone about the group.

To get  get togethers going i started having play dates for kids at the park or inside play area twice a month. Then i started a post asking what hobbies people like to do. So the ladies started talking about the crafts they love to do and found they had things in common and wanting to get together for there hobbies dates. That was when i started the forum so that it would be easier to for them to find people that like the same things they do and for any groups that get together with similar interest.

I hope this helps.

angelofmusic
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 5:28 PM

i have lots of polls so ii know when is best for get togethers. i try to plan atleast one playdate a week, and if people cant make iit oh well. sometimes you just have to schedule stuff and hope it works. it is very hard to plan stuff that works for everyone.

kharma
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

My local group has a couple different regular playdates that we try not to ever change to keep it easy to remember. For one, we do a weekly storytime at the local library and then meet up for lunch at McDonald's afterward. Some choose to skip storytime and just meet up for lunch. Some have had their kids in MDO on that day but still chooose to meet up for lunch and some good mommy chat. Some, join for storytime, but skip McDonald's.... which, it's great to see them, but we don't really get much chat time at storytime and the kids are paying attention to the librarian so they dont' really get to play. Another regular playdate we have is at a park on the 1st and 3rd mondays of every month. We bring our own picnic lunch and snacks and just hang out. Having these in a public setting, I think, helps some of the more shy members to join us. When we have the inhome playdates, it's discouraged to post home address on the forum, so usually just those who've already met in person attend. So I hope that encourages other members to meet up at the public playdates.

We do have our membership maintenance set to remove nonactive members. And admin sometimes weeds through the memberlist and PMs those who haven't been active to encourage them to become so before they get removed from the group. 

Can't say that our group has been the greatest as far as forum activity goes, but we have had a pretty good amount of active members.

I know that some of our members do tell friends about CafeMom and our group, but in my experience, those who go in search of a group like ours tend to become more active than those who've been invited. I think maybe it's cause those who search for us are more interested?

I do know that some members do meet others in our group and become good friends and opt to hang out amongst themselves and not participate so much in the group anymore also lol Which is great!!  I'm glad to know that ladies have made good friends through our group. I guess I just wish if they are going to stay in the group, they would participate a bit more too.

marisab
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Quoting Cafe Elizabeth:

Quoting gennifer_varner:

Running a local group certainly has it's own set of rewards and challenges. It's great that your group is now having consistent get togethers! I'm sure other local group owners have questions about how you did it -- beyond just setting up the forums.

Ones that come to my mind are:

• How did you find the CafeMom members to join your group?
  • Did you do any advertising/promotions off of CafeMom? Like in local grocery stores, bulletin boards, word-of-mouth?
  • Where do the playdates meet? Are they grouped by age?

It would be really helpful if anyone with a local group could answer these questions here -- and make this post a resource for other local group owners and admins.

And, marisab -- thank you for starting a post about this important topic!

-- Elizabeth

well i found  all my memebers thus far on cafemom at various other wis groups that dint have playdates.

word of mouth adverts only for now any way

we so far do our playdate meets iin public sites.in july we met at the zoo,warnwr park and zoo.in aug we have them set up at thechildrens museum,splash park,aeboreteum(another park),a mary kay party for the moms,,and probly another zoo day.

yw elizabeth and it is very importent!!!

AWL
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

We're by word-of-mouth mostly and new members are always welcome. New members have to be local and their page has to be viewed by the group owner if it's private before joining,  they have to have activity on their page,  participation is required too. And you HAVE to introduce yourself when you join.  We weren't always this strict but after time and experience..and a little paranoia, it works better to have rules from the get-go.

For me, if I see someone while I'm out and about our kids are getting along pretty good.. I tell them about CafeMom, I love it here...:-)   I just mentioned our local group to a very pregnant woman that works next to me just this week.  Who doesn't  want information and Mommy friends??  I know I did!  Our group is small and more than 1/3 of us have met IRL already.  We have our settings set to the 30 days filter because we want participation.  No addresses to people we haven't met is important for sure.  

Our group has had several meet-ups and events.  The SAHM's have a weekly meet-up, the place varies, normally a park or soft-play depending on weather.  We have weekend meet-ups where Dad's can join and go to the mall's soft-play, have coffee and chat, or the beach,  local parks, the museum. We've done Mom's night out and went to dinner,  had one where we went and watched "Sex and the City",  we've also had dinner at each others houses.  We have done one clothing donation drive for a local place that helps clothe foster kids.  We also have had 2 Easter egg hunt meet-ups.   They either want to participate and meet IRL is or they don't. 

Things that may help:

We have a monthly 'happenings' post that everyone adds to if they know of a cool story-time or even a band playing.

I need to get better and put up a post for monthy birthdays, which I think is nice. 

Any surveys, like icebreakers help  a lot!

Do a Question of the week (QOTW) and find out who likes what park or restaurant..

I found a game called "The Hot Seat" from this group and it has really gotten conversation going lately, I will start doing more games because of the participation from this one!

Geesh, can you tell the kids are sleeping? I'm rambling now...  Hope that helps!

Cafe Elizabeth
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 9:43 AM

That's fantastic! These are great tips for anyone else running a local/playdate group. Happy to hear that you're able to get out at night too -- sounds like a great time!

-- Elizabeth

Quoting AWL:

Our group has had several meet-ups and events.  The SAHM's have a weekly meet-up, the place varies, normally a park or soft-play depending on weather.  We have weekend meet-ups where Dad's can join and go to the mall's soft-play, have coffee and chat, or the beach,  local parks, the museum. We've done Mom's night out and went to dinner,  had one where we went and watched "Sex and the City",  we've also had dinner at each others houses.  We have done one clothing donation drive for a local place that helps clothe foster kids.  We also have had 2 Easter egg hunt meet-ups.   They either want to participate and meet IRL is or they don't. 

Information. Advice. Connections.
Join me in the Groups Resource Center.

jagrus
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Infant Boys in Louisville, Ky is a playdate group with only 1 member

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)