Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Expert Group of the Week: Susie Homemaker

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM
  • 2 Replies

ღ Susie Homemaker ღ

briefcase

How did you get your group to grow, and how do you keep your members active?

I honestly don't promote my group.  I have siggies members are welcome to snag and use, but other than that I don't use any techniques to get my group to grow.  Most of my members found Susie Homemaker, because they were looking for something that wasn't just another SAHM group.  My members wanted to find others that take homemaking just as seriously as they do; women who don't stay home, becauseof their child(ren)... their child(ren) just happen to be home with them.  The rest of my members simply came by word of mouth which is the best promoting of all, in my opinion.  I guess you can say I used the "if you build it, they will come" method.  lol.

Once a group gets large enough and has been around for awhile, it has a tendency to run itself, so trying to keep it active isn't always necessarily.  But there will still be a few dry spells.  For my group this usually happens during the summertime when everyone is busy having fun in the sun and taking vacations.  So to keep the group moving, I will post simple get-to-know-you questions that even my usual lurkers can't resist answering.  I also browse the Internet for interesting articles that pertain to our group.  Games work, too.  Our favorite ones are the pictured savanger hunt and the ABC's of ___. 

How long have you been a group owner, and what made you want to start your group?

I have been a group owner for over 2 years now.  I created Susie Homemaker, because I could not find a homemaking group that was 1. active and 2. that I could relate to.  I wanted to discuss topics that went beyond cooking and cleaning.  I wanted to talk to other women about their lives as homemakers... not just homemaking itself.

What are your top three tips for someone just starting a group? 

I've seen A LOT of groups fail and I'll tell you the top three reasons why.  1. Lack of patience; it usually takes considerable time to get a new group off the ground and most new group owners give up after a few months.  2. Not being active in your own group; a group owner must view herself as a hostess at a party.  Group members take ques from the owner.  If the owner isn't active, the members won't be either.  And 3. The group is too specific and geared toward only one type of group.  Unless this is your intent and you are ok with a very small number of members, I don't recommend it.  When I started Susie Homemaker, I more or less made it clear that it was just for housewives.  Once I opened it up to working moms who also took their homemaking seriously, the group exploded.  Also adding a general forum for chit chat brought us closer together and helped broaden our topics.

What do you think your members take away from their group experience while they are a part of your group?

A sense of community with like minded women, and the knowledge that they have a safe haven and support system.

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Sometimes running a group can feel like a job and like any job you will experience burn out.  When being a group owner is no longer fun then you know it's time to take a break.  Know it's okay to ask for help.  Let your administrators know you are taking a vacation from the group for a week or so and give yourself time to re-charge.  Your group members will thank you for it, I promise.

by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tvschiulaz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Congrats to the group!!!  I hope this gets you some members.

Serenity75
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Thank you so much!

Quoting tvschiulaz:

Congrats to the group!!!  I hope this gets you some members.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)