Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General Fiction

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

For stuff that doesn't really fit into a category

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mom2mads
by Group Owner on Apr. 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Jennie by Douglas J. Preston-

I read this book a long while ago but it has stuck in my head all these years, it's a very good book!

The book is about an orphan chimpanzee who is rescued by anthropologist Hugo Archibald when her mother is shot by poachers in Africa.  He brings her home to America to live with his family, where she is raised as one of the kids!  She learns to communicate using sign language.  The book is written in a diary/interview form and through this you learn that while Hugo loves Jennie his wife and daughter are actually jealous of her. There are several cute, humorous episodes in the beginning as Jennie goes through her life as a baby, then a toddler, then a "child".  But when she reaches adolescence and sexual maturity problems arise and she becomes violent.  This is where the story turns serious and sad.   Warning - you WILL tear up while reading this story, but still it's a wonderful tale that is based very loosely on actual events.  There is a rumor that Disney had bought the rights to make this into a film but I don't know if that is still going to happen or not.

MommaBacker
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I can't decide whether or not these would be considered science fiction or not but...

Fahrenheit 451 was a beautiful book. The whole thing flowed like poetry and the end...*sighs* The end felt good.

1985 was a tragic story about a man living in 1985 (the future when the book was written). I recommend it 100%.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)