Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Curriculum Reviews

Posted by   + Show Post

Place your homeschooling curriculum reviews here

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM
Replies (11-11):
Choosy
by Group Admin on Jul. 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Review For Apologia Jump In

Yielded great results

Reviewed by bookwormmichelle All reviews by this user | Message this Reviewer

Category Score
Effectiveness 5
Usability 5
Price/Value 5
Overall Average 5

I also began using this with an extremely reluctant writer. We actually used this for 8th grade. We'd used many writing programs with little result previously. 

From the very beginning, the light-hearted approach, coupled with the breaking down the process into small steps that anyone can do, yielded great results with my son. Handing him a paper and saying "Write an essay" terrified him. Handing him Jump In and just doing one section at a time was manageable. He actually enjoyed the process of writing essays. 

We would give the essay-writing sections more stars if we could. To be honest, I found the sections on short story writing and poetry writing much less useful – there was not as much information, and my son just did not respond to those sections at all. But for a good, basic introduction to solid essay writing in a non-threatening format, this is a great book. Now in high school, my son often refers to the sections on essay writing to help him organize and write more complex essays he is assigned now. I will be using this with my second son this year, but just focusing on the essay-writing portions. Excellent product.

More Reviews of Apologia Jump In

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN