Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why is it so hard to find prenatal anxiety support groups?!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:43 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1079 Total Views

i have been searching on sites for hours trying to find prenatal anxiety/depression support groups to no avail. most of them are hardly frequented so theres no point in joining it would just make you feel more lonely!

How are you all coping with your anxiety/depression? When are you all due and how far along were you when your problems started? I am due Jan 2 2010 and have been noticing increasing amounts of moodiness the last couple of weeks. I have been having panic attacks where i cant breathe and get really hot and panicked for no apparent reason. I talked to my OB about it but she doesnt seem that concerned. It seems like with all the things i read that they dont really do anything for you until you are having thoughts/feelings of hurting yourself or the baby. I personally dont want to get that far!!

I am a generally happy person with a good life and a wonderful husband and i hate feeling this way. I dont feel like myself anymore and i dont like to do anything or go anywhere.

any advice for coping would be well appreciated!

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sevilicious
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I have wondered the same thing and even this group is not very active. I have had a hell of a time because I have symptomatic major depression and panic disorder, some days its a struggle just to get through the day especially since my fiance is still in iraq and wont be home till early november, I will be like 8/9 months when he gets here so Ive been doing everything on my own from the beginning. I am taking zoloft and they raised my dose to 100 mg from 50 but i still struggle. It as helped a lot but Im not quite there ya know?

LilyBeansMom
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM

My struggles are because I've had to go off my meds for bipolar disorder.  I may go back on some in reduced amounts after my 1st trimester, but I don't want to if I don't have to.  Lack of patience with my 4-year-old daughter is a big concern.  Personally, I recommend counseling if you can.  You're doctor should be able to recommend someone.  Without an outlet and someone to teach you how to handle what you're feeling it will be much more difficult to get through.  Relaxation techniques alone will be helpful.

~ Lisa ~  (and "Gus")

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.  "Plans to prosper you, not to harm you.  Plans to give you a hope and a future." 

saltyalley
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Wow it much make it much more stressful that your husband is away. I will pray time flies for you and he returns safely and possibly early!! I am trying hard to stay off meds, find support avenues such as this and keep open communication with people close to me about how I am feeling. My doctor is taking long to get back with me with a counselor/psychologist though...

AMommyAgain2010
by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I am seeing my therapist once a week right now since I just came off of my meds.  Today was one of the worst days I've had since being off everything.  I cried just about all day fearing I would relapse during this pregnancy without the support of my meds.  Having groups like this where I can go also help a lot since I don't feel so alone.  Just take it one day at a time.  If you need to, specifically tell your OB that you know your history and this issue needs to be addressed and taken seriously.  If she still blows you off, call your insurance company to find out if you need a referral to a psychiatrist/psychologist who can help you evaluate your current state of mind.

M2TandM
by Group Owner on Sep. 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I have finally had my baby (hence the absence) and my anxiety has really eased. I have to say the most important thing I found was getting a dr who fully understood and accepted the fact I did not want to be medicated for it. Unfortunately, prenatal anxiety and depression is somethng that is not really understood.

Dawn-Kiame
by on Sep. 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I agree with AMommyAgain2010-

Quoting AMommyAgain2010:

If you need to, specifically tell your OB that you know your history and this issue needs to be addressed and taken seriously.  If she still blows you off, call your insurance company to find out if you need a referral to a psychiatrist/psychologist who can help you evaluate your current state of mind.

I went to see my nurse practitioner on Friday (dr. wasn't there) and burst into tears when I tried to tell her about the problems I'd been having.  We had already discussed this at an earlier appointment.  She didn't even hesitate to give me med's.  I had already decided this was the right decision for me.  They are also trying to find me a counselor of some sort that is covered by my insurance (or free).

ellokatie
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 6:06 PM

until i found this group, i didn't know that other people suffered from it. i thought there was something wrong with me. i just found out that i am pregnant like, 2 weeks ago. and ever since, i've just felt incredibly hopeless ((even tho my situation isn't horrible at all)) i've pretty much cried ever single day. i've also managed to start distancing myself from every one. i argue with my boyfriend. and sometimes, i'll make up reasons why he shouldn't come over. ((i blame it on that we need more money so we can get our own place)) i have my moments when i don't want to be pregnant. but i know id never hurt myself or my child... im afraid that it won't go away. and im afraid that i won't be able to bond with my baby. im also afraid of completely isolating myself, or ruining the most amazing relationship i've ever had. but my fears aren't enough to get me to stop doing what im doing. i used to be happy-go-lucky. and now i just seem lost...

on the bright side, i found this group. and maybe, by surrounding myself with others that understand, i'll start to perk up.

M2TandM
by Group Owner on Aug. 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I know - I don't think it is recongised. It was a battle to get my dr to undertsand me, tho thankfully he did. Unfortunately this group isn't active and I am quite bad for that really. PM me by all means if you need a shoulder / sounding board.

luvmykidsmomof2
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM

HI there! i feel the same way. alone and scared. I am preg w my second baby, a boy :) and i started having bad anxiety when i was preg for the first time with my daughter. it was so bad that the last two months i was out on zoloft and it worked wonders...no more panic attacks. bt now i am seeing commercials on tv saying it causes birth defects despite the fact my docs say it is safe. im not on it this time but kind of wish i was as everything i try on my own is NOT working well. ive seen counselors and all they do is sit  there and bs with me and i feel like the problem is never being addressed. i hate feeling this way and i feel like my husband is not as supportive as he could be bc he doesnt undersatnd my anxiety and panic. i am starting to feel depressed bc i feel so defeated. i have been battling this for several years now and its only worse when im pregnant. we are in the middle of a cross country move among other things and stress is crazy right now. i dont know how to help you, im still searching myself. but i wanted you to know that you are not alone and sometimes just talking to others that know what you are going through brings releif. feel free to message me anytime. as far as the symptoms of nausea worsening, try ginger ale or sprite when you start to feel nauseous...i feel sometimes that burping gets me feeling better i think our bellies get gassy and make us feel sick when we are all riled up. other than that try to keep healthy snacking throughout the day bc i was told if your blood sugar gets low it can make it all worse. take some time for yourself a few times a week if you can too. i know when i feel better about myself it helps a little too. 

luvmykidsmomof2
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM

@sevillicious: you are not alone. i too am a military wife/mommy and my husband has been to iraq 2 times and afghanistan once. i know how awful that can feel. it def doesnt help our anxiety huh? i was on zoloft my first pregnancy and 100mg and it helped alot. i dont think i got panic attacks anymore. im trying to avoid it this time around but might have to use it bc my anxiety is horrid right now. you are not alone. message me anytime if you ever need to talk to someone who can relate. hang in there. i know it all seems helpless now but when you hold that beautiful baby in your arms for the first time it will be worth it. i promise. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)