Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey New Members!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2010 at 11:08 PM
  • 72 Replies
  • 1033 Total Views

Please introduce yourself and tell us where you are at with your job search!!

Robin in Chicago

by on Feb. 5, 2010 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tina454542
by on Feb. 6, 2010 at 12:13 PM

My name is Tina and currently I am having a hard time trying to find a decent job. So I am going back to school for Medical Office Assistant. Hope it will help.

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Feb. 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Quoting tina454542:

My name is Tina and currently I am having a hard time trying to find a decent job. So I am going back to school for Medical Office Assistant. Hope it will help.

Hi Tina and welcome! I would love to help you with your job search. How are you structuring it?

Before committing to school, did you you check the job market and make sure that you will graduate with good "hireability"?

Robin in Chicago

victorianmom
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Hi, my name is Shari I have a degree in BA in Healthcare Management and a Masters in Organizational Management. I am back in school getting a Masters in Public Administration.

I have been unemployed since October of 2008 and have been to interviews but am either over qualitfied or underqualified. However right now I can't get a job,because my husband just had heart surgery and if I found something then we would lose our healthcare(Medicaid) insurance.

What I would like to do is be my own boss,no direct sales though have tried this route and well it doesn't seem to fit me.

What I would like to do is be my own boss,

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Feb. 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Quoting victorianmom:

Hi, my name is Shari I have a degree in BA in Healthcare Management and a Masters in Organizational Management. I am back in school getting a Masters in Public Administration.

I have been unemployed since October of 2008 and have been to interviews but am either over qualitfied or underqualified. However right now I can't get a job,because my husband just had heart surgery and if I found something then we would lose our healthcare(Medicaid) insurance.

What I would like to do is be my own boss,no direct sales though have tried this route and well it doesn't seem to fit me.

What I would like to do is be my own boss,

Have you considered starting a consulting practice?

Robin in Chicago

victorianmom
by on Feb. 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I answered the other forum, but yes I have considered starting a consulting business,just haven't figured out where to start etc., once I get a business plan done and some research which I know there is a big need here.

I need to think of a really great name that will attract customers. 

Without Faith there is no Hope, Without Hope there is no Faith

Baps
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I'm a SAHM . My daughter is at home with me. I considered doing something on the computer while caring for my daughter. A friend of mine answers calls for her clients. She gave me some information about how to start. I just need the money to get a better head set and become incorporated. 

The coffee is ready.  

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Mar. 31, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Quoting Baps:

I'm a SAHM . My daughter is at home with me. I considered doing something on the computer while caring for my daughter. A friend of mine answers calls for her clients. She gave me some information about how to start. I just need the money to get a better head set and become incorporated. 

Welcome to the group! Are you looking for help with your resume or job search strategy?

Robin in Chicago

Baps
by on Apr. 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting Baps:

Welcome to the group! Are you looking for help with your resume or job search strategy?

I am going to definitely need help with my resume. I don't know where to begin. I have not worked outside the home except for in the church these last couple of years. And that has only been seasonal part time. I have done a lot of volunteer work these past 16 years or so. Trying to get my mind to wrap around all the details is a bit overwhelming at this time because my plate is so full. 

I guess if I could slowly list all that I have done and update contact information and references that would be a great start. What do you think?

The coffee is ready.  

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Apr. 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Quoting Baps:

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting Baps:

I am going to definitely need help with my resume. I don't know where to begin. I have not worked outside the home except for in the church these last couple of years. And that has only been seasonal part time. I have done a lot of volunteer work these past 16 years or so. Trying to get my mind to wrap around all the details is a bit overwhelming at this time because my plate is so full. 

I guess if I could slowly list all that I have done and update contact information and references that would be a great start. What do you think?

Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value, like time management; logistics; financial management and budgeting; etc. The volunteer work that you have done will also be useful.

I think that you have a good plan for starting to construct resumes (and cover letters); read through several job descriptions first, and look through the suggestions that I have posted here.

I will be happy to critique your resume when you have a draft put together.

Robin in Chicago

Dsmom89
by on Apr. 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM

My name is Jara. I've been actively looking for a job for about five months now and I have started a few side gigs with DH until I get a steady job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)