Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Salary Negotiating (sp?): What is unreasonable?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 220 Total Views

I just interviewed for a job that I am really excited about. All I can think about is the "pros" & how to work around the "cons". I wasn't even offered the job, but I'm trying to figure out how to get around them anyway lol!

During the interview I was told what the starting rate would be. I did the numbers & it is $3100 more a year than what I make now. BUT, since I work for a daycare center & as an employee my childcare is free I have to take into consideration childcare costs. So I did the math & figured out I would need to pay $3480 a year in child care (this is based on my current government assisted monthly co-pay which may change if I make more money). This is $380 more than the increase in pay I would be getting.

So, my question is... is it unreasonable for me, as a prosepctive employee, to negotiate child care costs into my pay? I could say ask for the starting rate that they told me they give plus my monthly child care co-pay. Or should I say "in order to be able to afford child care I need to make xx amount of money" (which in all honesty is only 25 cents more per hour than what starting rate is) & that would actually give me an extra $200 per year. Of course this is all figured without taxes taken out plus there will probably be an increase in what I have to pay per month if my salary goes up.

As I was considering the pros vs cons one HUGE con came to mind... my daughters are 10 & 12 & in middle school. The daycare I work for will provide after school care only for their school...either at another school or at the center I work at. My toddler is also at the center I work at. My 8yo DS will be at another location before & after school. This prospective job is 15 mins from my house & on the eastside of my hometown. The daycare I work at is on the westside, about 20 mins give or take (taking into consideration I have to go through town to get to the daycare... lots of stop lights & in middle of "rush hour"). If I get this job I would have to drive PAST my house to get the girls & toddler then drive back towards to get my 8yo before going home. There is a daycare literally 3 mins from my house that transports to the 8yo's school & on the website it says they take up to 12 yrs old. IDK if they transport to the middle school where my daughters will be. IF everything checks out/works out I COULD send them to the other center & all 4 kids be at 1 location!

by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:04 AM

This is a tough one. I have a couple of thoughts. 

If the new position has a better career track, and better potential for "learning and earning" than the current position, then it is definitely the way to go.

Can you telecommute two days a week? This would cut down your child care costs.

Do you research!! Is the typical person in this type of position, in this industry, with your experience, earning the same salary.

Are you comfortable saying: I am very excited about the prospect of working here, and I cannot accept a salary of less than XXX per year.

You don't want to make this about your kids, in case this is the type of company that does not understand that working moms work harder than everyone else

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM

And be sure to send thank you notes to everyone you met with!!

CrazyMammaOf4
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 6:11 PM

One step ahead on the thank you! For some reason I just thought to shoot a quick thank you email after I got home that night! :) As for the other advice... I thank you so much because I also PIOG & have 9 replies... 4 are definate negative responses (I haven't checked the other 5 yet) saying I'm crazy & that negotiating should be about what do I have to bring to the table that shows them I'm worth it, not if they want me they need to pay me xx amt or asking for childcare. As for "Is the typical person in this type of position, in this industry, with your experience, earning the same salary."  I was told someone starting out in the field with no experience would start out at $10.00/hr & it goes up from there if there is experience & even more if the person has personailty too. So I think I'd have a good shot at making more than $10.00 just because of the experience.

Can you tell me what is telecommuting? Is that working from home? If so the property management field is not that kind of job. I'd be a leasing agent "selling" apartments.

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Quoting CrazyMammaOf4:

One step ahead on the thank you! For some reason I just thought to shoot a quick thank you email after I got home that night! :) As for the other advice... I thank you so much because I also PIOG & have 9 replies... 4 are definate negative responses (I haven't checked the other 5 yet) saying I'm crazy & that negotiating should be about what do I have to bring to the table that shows them I'm worth it, not if they want me they need to pay me xx amt or asking for childcare. As for "Is the typical person in this type of position, in this industry, with your experience, earning the same salary."  I was told someone starting out in the field with no experience would start out at $10.00/hr & it goes up from there if there is experience & even more if the person has personailty too. So I think I'd have a good shot at making more than $10.00 just because of the experience.

Can you tell me what is telecommuting? Is that working from home? If so the property management field is not that kind of job. I'd be a leasing agent "selling" apartments.

Telecommuting is working from home. You could have one day a week working from home, setting appointments, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)