Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job hunting tips?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 241 Total Views

Hi Everyone, 

I'm jumping into my job hunt.  I've put in a few applications but have not gotten any bites so far.  So, just as a starting off point, what job hunting tips do you have?  

I'm an administrative assistant looking for a similar job and I'm willing to relocate.  I also have extensive tech experience.   Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks! 

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Sep. 7, 2011 at 5:44 AM
You need a great resume, an up-to-date Linkedin profile, you should be sending well researched cover letters with your resume, you should set up search agents on one of the meta-search sites like Indeed.com or Simply Hired, you should check Craigslist daily, you should be attending networking events, you should have a great "elevator speech" (a 45-90 second summary).
Looking for a job really is a full time job!

How are your skills? If you have been out of the job market for a while, you should look into upgrading your skills. I would go to a community college, and take MicroOffice classes (at least word, excel and powerpoint)and one or two computerized bookkeeping classes. The classes wil be relatively inexpensive, and my be offered online. If your are currently unemploued, you may be eligible to take them at a state unemployment office.

Feel free to post your resume, and a cover letter or two, for us to review, and good luck with your jobsearch!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reux
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Thanks!  I'll definitely take these hints to heart. Fortunately, I at least have up-to-date skills (I'm currently employed and have worked here for 4.5 years).  A friend of mine helped me polish my resume a bit yesterday.  I think I'll polish it up some more and then post it.  

Another positive thing happened yesterday--my husband got 2 interviews in the same area (the first job conducted their first interview with him by phone yesterday and are doing a second phone interview today.  The second job is giving him a first phone interview today).  So, this means that I feel like I can focus on looking for jobs in that area, rather than applying all over the place.  

Thanks so much for the job search support.  I really appreciate it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)