Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some feedback

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 244 Total Views

I am still hunting for a job since May 2011 when I got laid off from my prior job. I have been working with several temp agencies and staffing companies to find things but there really is not much available right now. I have also been sending my resumes online to folks. The thing is in March 2010 I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (Bone marrow cancer) and I am in remission right now but I have to still go to month follow up appt. to get check out and do lab work and also get zometa which is a bone strengthen treatment which is done thru my veins. This cancer is not curable so I probably being doing this for some time. How do I talk to the folks that hire me about this?? What do I do if after I tell them they decide that I cannot work there any longer?? I know some companies are very strict on their attendance policies but I don't have a choice to not go. I also have to take an oral chemo meds. each evening. I was doing my chemo treatments thru my veins at my prior company and I think between that and missing days to go do that they ended up letting me go but they made it look like my production was not meeting goals so that they could not be fined. It scares me not being able to find work because of this. I am a single mom with a 14 yo at home with me. We had to move and live with my folks since I got laid off. 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
unicornnwhite
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Hello AugustMOM25- Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I can personally relate to you as I was injured 2 yrs. ago, am on unemployment, was recieving workers comp. I have been looking for a job in another field, it is hard with my restrictions. There must be a program with in you're state that could give you advice. I am not sure what to sugest. Have you Googled working with Bone marrow cancer? I would think there are groups out there to help. If I see anything I'll let you know. Good Luckhugs

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Sep. 17, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I am so sorry that you are ill.

Regarding employment, this is not something that you tell an employer until you need to schedule time off; be prepared with a plan to make sure that all of your responsibilities are covered, and try to anticipate any questions. And I would use the term "chronic illness", rather than go into details, as this is no one's business, but yours.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)