Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to this group but need to have someone relate.

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

Hi everyone. I am new here. I have been looking for a job for 8 1/2 months. First time in my life I have ever had this difficulty in landing a job. I am a single mom who is solely supporting her two kids. The holidays are around the corner and I cant even know if I can keep a roof over us muchless by gifts. My Wonderful fiancee lives with us now but he lost his job too. Now the only income we have is my unemployment and his minor military disability. Mine will run out in just 3 1/2 months and my savings is almost gone. I am trying hard to keep a positive attitude but five minutes alone and I am crying like a baby. I have sent out over 180 resumes, gone on only 6 interviews, and not one offer. It is so bad that I havent been able to even see my son march in the half time show without volunteering in the concession stand because $7 to get into the game is $7 we could use to feed the boys. I feel like I am sucking the wind out of everyone. Kevin is so wonderful but I am always so stressed out. I want my life back so badly. I have not been without a job for more than 3 months since I was 14. I have been solely supporting myself since 17. I have been the sole financial support of my kids. I feel so helpless and angry all the time.   

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Oct. 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I am so sorry that you are having a difficult time. 

How are you conducting your job search? Only around half of the available jobs are posted on the job boards; many can only be found through networking. Are you attending networking events (even PTA meetings)? Do you have an up-to-date Linkedin profile? When you send a resume, it is tailored to the position/company? Are you sending resumes with well researched cover letters? 

Have you considered doing freelance / consulting work?

I will be happy to help you, as best I can.

Robin in Chicago

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Oct. 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM

THANK YOU! I have done too much to put into a one reply but I have actually done some of the things you asked and not the others. I do appreciate the ideas. It has been a nightmare. One of my biggest hurdles is our location. It is a small community without a lot of job options. I have expanded my search but still havent had much response. I will PM you later if that is ok?

Quoting rkoloms:

How are you conducting your job search? Only around half of the available jobs are posted on the job boards; many can only be found through networking. Are you attending networking events (even PTA meetings)? Do you have an up-to-date Linkedin profile? When you send a resume, it is tailored to the position/company? Are you sending resumes with well researched cover letters? 

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Oct. 19, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

THANK YOU! I have done too much to put into a one reply but I have actually done some of the things you asked and not the others. I do appreciate the ideas. It has been a nightmare. One of my biggest hurdles is our location. It is a small community without a lot of job options. I have expanded my search but still havent had much response. I will PM you later if that is ok?

Quoting rkoloms:

You can absolutely PM me. 

Robin in Chicago

zgirl1lv
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM
You know what, I am in the same boat as you. When I read your post I thought of me. I am going through the same thing. I feel for you. I have been out of work now almost 6 months. it will be 6 months on 12-24-11. I get depressed too and when I get into my crying mode its horrible. I have a teenage son and its hard to make decisions on what should come first, school stuff, food for the house or just nothing at all. My husband has his own business and with this tough economy its been tough for him too. there have been times when we don't have that much food in the fridge and we sacrifice some things just to make sure we can eat. its going to be another bad Christmas for me again this year. Last year at this same time we were still struggling and its almost a year and its like a repeat again. I am used to being independent and I loved being a working mom. now that I am unemployed its a whole new thing for me and I am just not used to it.
DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Trust me, I know what you mean. My fiance has his business and my kids have school and their friends. This family is my whole world. As proud of them as I am, its hard to watch them living their lives as I am stuck here waiting for mine. I have been completely self supporting since I was 17. To be in this situation is heartbreaking sometimes. I just feel like there is a ticking clock waiting to to go off. I am sorry its rough for you too. Men have no idea how hard it is to be a mother. I love being a mom but when you are a mom who cant provide for your family its devastating.

Quoting zgirl1lv:

You know what, I am in the same boat as you. When I read your post I thought of me. I am going through the same thing. I feel for you. I have been out of work now almost 6 months. it will be 6 months on 12-24-11. I get depressed too and when I get into my crying mode its horrible. I have a teenage son and its hard to make decisions on what should come first, school stuff, food for the house or just nothing at all. My husband has his own business and with this tough economy its been tough for him too. there have been times when we don't have that much food in the fridge and we sacrifice some things just to make sure we can eat. its going to be another bad Christmas for me again this year. Last year at this same time we were still struggling and its almost a year and its like a repeat again. I am used to being independent and I loved being a working mom. now that I am unemployed its a whole new thing for me and I am just not used to it.

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Have things improved for you?

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM

i wish I could say yes. In fact it has become worse. My unemployment has now been exhausted and I am down to what money I have in the bank. 

Quoting rkoloms:

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I am so sorry! If you would like to discuss job search strategy, I will be happy to help.

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

i wish I could say yes. In fact it has become worse. My unemployment has now been exhausted and I am down to what money I have in the bank. 

Quoting rkoloms:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I did take the advice you gave me before (I believe it was you. Forgive me.) I did go to the PTA meetings and started to volunteer at one of our organizations here where all the "influential" folks shout their accomplishments. Thanks! I went to some job fairs too. SO, its a hurry up and wait. Thanks for your advice. I will have to do that. I am out and about today but I may just take you up on that. Thank You so much!

Quoting rkoloms:

I am so sorry! If you would like to discuss job search strategy, I will be happy to help.

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

Quoting rkoloms:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)