Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

still unemployed

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 266 Total Views
Hello guys, I m new to this group. I have been looking for work for the last 6 months. This is the longest Its been for on searching for a new job. At my age it seems harder to look for work. I only have a high school education and most employers want a bachelors degree. It also doesn't help that they require an online assessment test and if you don't pass their tests you don't move forward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Dec. 14, 2011 at 4:09 PM

How are you conducting your job search? What skills do you have? How are you keeping your skills sharp, while you are out of work?

Robin in Chicago

zgirl1lv
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 10:12 PM
I am registered with 3 temp to hire agencies. Also listed on Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed, Snagajob and countless others. As far as keeping my skills sharp and updated don't know how else I can update them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Dec. 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Quoting zgirl1lv:

I am registered with 3 temp to hire agencies. Also listed on Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed, Snagajob and countless others. As far as keeping my skills sharp and updated don't know how else I can update them.

What are your skills, and how are you keeping them sharp/improving them?  Are you doing any networking? Are you contacting the temp agencies every week? 

Robin in Chicago

zgirl1lv
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Temp agencies don't work they way they used to anymore. They present your resume to employers and if they like it they will ask for a telephone interview or an in person interview. Agencies don't send you to the job site anymore like they used. Now these companies use agencies to screen their candidates for accepting us for work they need. Its a whole new process for me. I remember when I first started at an agency 20 years ago, they send you to the site and off you go to work. I am registered with 3 agencies and each one I have taken an assessment test on my skills and where I stand in regards to office work. Its a tough market out there and its very competitive. One job I applied for required a bachelors degree for a receptionist position. I met all the qualifications except the degree so there went that application. Most of the companies I am applying to want QuickBooks, Oracle, Peoplesoft, AS400, and Sharepoint experience. Where I worked we did not use any of these programs. I wish I could learn them but the courses are expensive. I am not working right now so I would not be able to afford taking any classes to add these skills. This is another road block for me and its very discouraging.
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Dec. 16, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Quoting zgirl1lv:

Temp agencies don't work they way they used to anymore. They present your resume to employers and if they like it they will ask for a telephone interview or an in person interview. Agencies don't send you to the job site anymore like they used. Now these companies use agencies to screen their candidates for accepting us for work they need. Its a whole new process for me. I remember when I first started at an agency 20 years ago, they send you to the site and off you go to work. I am registered with 3 agencies and each one I have taken an assessment test on my skills and where I stand in regards to office work. Its a tough market out there and its very competitive. One job I applied for required a bachelors degree for a receptionist position. I met all the qualifications except the degree so there went that application. Most of the companies I am applying to want QuickBooks, Oracle, Peoplesoft, AS400, and Sharepoint experience. Where I worked we did not use any of these programs. I wish I could learn them but the courses are expensive. I am not working right now so I would not be able to afford taking any classes to add these skills. This is another road block for me and its very discouraging.

You definitely need to sharpen your skills. I would start my making an appointment with the financial aid office of your nearest community college. Quickbooks is a must.

jamberrypie
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Quickbooks is definitely a valuable skill to have.  In the city that I live in, I checked a local volunteer website and found a few organizations that I could volunteer to work at.  Quickbooks was part of the office work, and while I was volunteering there, they would teach me to use Quickbooks.  It sounded promising.  I would have considered it if this part-time job hadn't come my way.

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Dec. 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Quoting jamberrypie:

Quickbooks is definitely a valuable skill to have.  In the city that I live in, I checked a local volunteer website and found a few organizations that I could volunteer to work at.  Quickbooks was part of the office work, and while I was volunteering there, they would teach me to use Quickbooks.  It sounded promising.  I would have considered it if this part-time job hadn't come my way.

This is a great idea, and you should do it anyway! the more skills you have, the more valuable you are

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)