Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't eat or Sleep

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

I have been unemployed since July This year. I'm afraid I will be homeless soon. I have NO unemployment coming in, Plus the Alimony I get doesn't even cover the rent on this place.I have posted so many resumes already. Between Me NOT speaking Spanish and My age ( I am 50 ) no one wants me.I got an $8.50 job recently and lost 2 weeks later because Just before I started( I'm talking days) I strained the Hamstrings in my leg so I could not walk or move very fast, so they fired me. The Manager of the Dept knew of this because I made sure to tell him, He didn't care.So I went from being A medical Receptionist to Deli counter person only to be fired. That was so humiliating! I don't have any other skills Other than me working in a Bank Way back in the 80's. I don't bother even putting that in my resume.I'm so lost.

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I am so sorry that you are going through this. 

Even though you are unable to collect unemployment compensation, you can still take advantage of the resources that they offer. 

I would also contact local social services agencies; if you are in Chicago, I can point you to a couple of great ones.

There is lots of scholarship money out there, so you can go back to school and get some real skills. Start here: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ You probably have not filed your taxes for last year; this is fine, you can amend your application when you do. Start with a community college; your credits will easily transfer to a university, and they will have many classes online.

Next, start looking for scholarships here:  http://www.fastweb.com/login

Good luck, and let me know how I can help

Tink61
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I wish I was smart enough to go to school. but the truth is I never graduated from HS .I often thought about getting a GED but that is useless. I don't have the mind set to do it.I suffer from depression take medication for it. when I'm working I'm fine but as soon as I lost my job the depression comes back.I would like to be able to take a correspondence  course to get a GED.but Without funds thats not going to happen.Right now I have little to no self esteem left.As hard as I might its a tough mountain to climb I'm so mentally exhausted.

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Quoting Tink61:

I wish I was smart enough to go to school. but the truth is I never graduated from HS .I often thought about getting a GED but that is useless. I don't have the mind set to do it.I suffer from depression take medication for it. when I'm working I'm fine but as soon as I lost my job the depression comes back.I would like to be able to take a correspondence  course to get a GED.but Without funds thats not going to happen.Right now I have little to no self esteem left.As hard as I might its a tough mountain to climb I'm so mentally exhausted.

A GED is NOT useless; it show determination. Frankly, you need therapy to deal with your depression. There are social services agencies that will help you, if you really want help. If you are in the Chicago area, I can point you towards a few.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)