Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any updates?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

I would love to hear how your search is going!

Robin in Chicago

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Tink61
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I APPLIED FOR 5 JOBS YESTERDAY AND THREE TODAY HAVEN'T HEARD FROM ANYONE

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Feb. 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Quoting Tink61:

Well, a week in real time is like a minute in corporate time. 

Did you send well-researched cover letters with your resumes? Did you check your network (Linkedin, etc.) for connections at any of these companies?

Often, applications just go into a black hole, so it is really helpful to find a connection.

Robin in Chicago

Tink61
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting Tink61:

Did you send well-researched cover letters with your resumes? Did you check your network (Linkedin, etc.) for connections at any of these companies?

Often, applications just go into a black hole, so it is really helpful to find a connection.

I do I'm hooked on Linkedin. I have mant problems One is with me. I'm nothing more than a receptionist with no degree. Don't know Excel, Microsoft office and cannot speak Spanish. the second is still me, I don't know where to find my Self Esteem. I have my resume done and Done over again.My last job I lasted 3 months. I was the Office Managers'Best Worker" until the time came for a Hospital to take over. The Manager went from Praising me to ripping me apart. I spelled someones name wrong etc. Then she said to me " You can't work here because I don't want you giving me a bad name" what an act to follow.......Now I cant.

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Feb. 18, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Quoting Tink61:

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting Tink61:

I do I'm hooked on Linkedin. I have mant problems One is with me. I'm nothing more than a receptionist with no degree. Don't know Excel, Microsoft office and cannot speak Spanish. the second is still me, I don't know where to find my Self Esteem. I have my resume done and Done over again.My last job I lasted 3 months. I was the Office Managers'Best Worker" until the time came for a Hospital to take over. The Manager went from Praising me to ripping me apart. I spelled someones name wrong etc. Then she said to me " You can't work here because I don't want you giving me a bad name" what an act to follow.......Now I cant.

Even receptionists need skills; skills are also the way to grow your career. So, you definitely need to upgrade your skills! In Chicago, the unemployment offices have classes for Microsoft office; if the unemployment offices in your are don't, then contact community college. At the minimum, you need to learn Outlook, Excel, Word; PowerPoint would be great; also, take at least one basic bookkeeping class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)