Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unemployed and not counted?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 174 Total Views

Poll

Question: Are you Unemployed?

Options:

Yes, and counted as unemployed.

Yes, but not counted.

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 3

View Results

I've been unemployed for almost 2 years, but for a year and half I haven't been actively searching because I'm attending college full-time.  I've been fortunate to be receiving the GI Bill for college.  My GI Bill benefits will be running out soon, and so I am currently searching for a job. 

I am married and a mother to 4 children.  If I didn't have so much debt from a divorce, I would stay-at-home to take care of the house and focus on college, but I have debts that need to be paid.  My husband doesn't make enough to be able to keep up with all the bills and I feel I have an obligation to pay mine.

Are you unemployed as well and not counted in the unemployment %?  Are you applying for jobs and having difficulty getting one?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:03 AM
You only count as unemployed if you are collecting unemployment compensation. The numbers don't count those who have given up. They also don't track the underemployed, like the attorney who went from being a 3rd year associate earning $175,000 a year and is now a bank teller earning $30,000 a year; or the former IT guy now making minimum wage at Starbucks. Or the full time accountant who is now a part tim bookkeeper. I know them all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nightowlshan
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Right now I am in the counted percentage. I'm actively applying and interviewing for jobs in my field, but can't seem to pass that final interview/salary negotiations stage. I'm volunteering to take a 10-15k cut in the pay I was receiving, but no luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Becky_mom2three
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Hmm..I didn't know that the underemployed were counted in the statistics.  That's good to know, thanks.

rkoloms
by Robin in Chicago on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Becky_mom2three:

Hmm..I didn't know that the underemployed were counted in the statistics.  That's good to know, thanks.

Sorry, I guess that I was not clear. The Underemployed are NOT counted in the statistics. Your poll does not have enough options to reflect reality.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)