Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

started Classical Conversations online today!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 1145 Total Views

I just found out that we could do this online! I am so excited we started today on cycle 1 week one, it's amazing how much my children will be learning. I hope this is something we will stick to. If you have any advice please feel free to share since I am a CC beginner I need all the help I can get! Thank you,

Kelli

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jenl123
by Group Owner on Dec. 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM

What do you mean CC online?  I am not familiar w/ an online program they offer...??    :)

higgins30
by Member on Dec. 17, 2009 at 9:59 AM

It's the C3 community, it has all the memory work for the 3 cycles online. I use youtube for the timeline. Is there a lot more to Classical conversations I might be missing? I was able to print out all the maps and worksheets online also. Do you think I maybe missing something?

Kelli

higgins30
by Member on Dec. 17, 2009 at 3:57 PM

What do you use for math?

Join my group: Homeschooling your large family

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108525

jenl123
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Ah!  Gotcha!  Yes, I joined the C3 comm this year too because we stayed at home.  How is it going for you guys?  What week are you on?  How do you like it?

No, I doubt you are missing anything.  Do you do the fine arts activities and the science experiments that are recommended?  That would be the only thing that I could think of.  Have you seen an actual CC day in progress somewhere?

Math, we use Saxon.  English, Shurley to get ready for IEW next year w/ CC.  You?

I would love to chat more about this with you sometime!

higgins30
by Member on Dec. 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM

We are on week 5 cycle one, I did find the science experiments, and the fine arts projects, and have done a few of those. I know I havn't been doing this for long but I am really enjoying it so far. The first week I thought maybe this was too easy and then when I started my second week of memorizing plus going over the last weeks, plus the science and art and also the public speaking work, I realized that it is going to get a little harder every week. I have to say I am finding it hard to fit in and extra work like math and English. My husband drills my daughter on the math facts when he comes home from work. But I have not done anything else as far as math work sheets since we started. I have Shurly English book 2 but I'm not really sure how to use it and I'm not sure if it is the right level for my 9 year old. It was given to me by another homeschooling mom, if you have any suggestions on how to use it I would love to try again. Thanks,   

Kelli

Join my group: Homeschooling your large family

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108525

jenl123
by Group Owner on Dec. 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM

You know I had the same thoughts my very first week, but you're right - it gets more intense the further you get into it.  And I have also had struggles with fitting everything in.  For math one idea is to make a list of everything you want her to accomplish this year (Ruth Beechik's Math booklet is a good resource) and just pick one thing at a time and work on it, no real "curriculum" needed.  Like maybe measurements one week.  Counting to 1000 one week.  We make sure to do math one of our first things in the morning because I have one who struggles a bit with it, so I don't want it to get skipped.

This is our first year with Shurley (I also have level 2) and I love it.  I like to get right to the important stuff rather than play around with cutesy workbooks.  I just dove right in.  Ok, I skipped the first chapter on organization or whatever it was, and I don't do the state cards because we memorize capitals in CC.  Other than that, I just go one lesson at a time at the kids' learning pace.  I also switched to Spelling Power this year and I think I like it a lot better too.

My struggle with doing it at home is making time for the experiments and art.  I started out strong, but not so well now.  And I feel bad because that is the fun part for the kids.

:)

onefootcutiepie
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 4:57 PM

HI! We do Classical conversations as well, but in a community. Do y'all just do it alone because there is no community near you, or you just decided to do it as a family? I really enjoy the weekly meetings! I love CC! We are on week 18 now.

jenl123
by Group Owner on Feb. 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

HI! We do Classical conversations as well, but in a community. Do y'all just do it alone because there is no community near you, or you just decided to do it as a family? I really enjoy the weekly meetings! I love CC! We are on week 18 now.

Hi!  and Welcome!  :)    We are at home this year for both financial and logistic reasons.  But this fall we're going back to a group - yay!  How long have you been in CC?

onefootcutiepie
by on Feb. 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM

This is our first year. We put both of the boys in. We lived overseas for several years and so we were homeschooling then, but when we moved back we found out about CC.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)