Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feel Lonely being a cops wife?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:44 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 419 Total Views
HI. I am married to a wonderful man! I thank whatever unseen forces in play that brought into my life every day, but I feel alone alot too.  We've been married for 4 years.  We lived together prior to that for about 2 years, and just after I moved in he went from being a Patrol Officer to a Detective which changed his shift to M-F 9-5 which I loved.  We were on the same schedule, it was great.  We got married and had a baby.  Our son is 19 mos old now and the way his city works is every 5 yrs they have to rotate out of the "speciality" positions (detective) so he's gone back to nights, (his favorite shift)  He works M-Thurs 9pm to 8 am and has Friday, Saturday and Sun off.  Which you would think would be great, but we're up all day while he sleeps!  He gets up and spends maybe 3 to 4 hours before our son goes to bed and shortly after me.  I feel like a single parent here!  Its all me to do everything during the day and at night while he's at work.  Now if I was just a housewife and mom it might not be so bad, but I work full time from home as well so I get very overwhelmed.
How do I shake this alone feeling? How do I feel safe alone at night with just me and the baby?  How do I adjust so I don't take it out on him, although I do think he chose this shift for more personal preference than what would be best for all of us.
Any advice would be appreciated and helpful! 
(just a side note, he's the first cop I ever dated.....as my parents joked I went from one end of the spectrum to the other when I went from the x boyfriend to my hubby)
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
emtcolt
by on Nov. 19, 2007 at 10:29 PM
I wish I could say that my experience could offer you some peice of advice sweetie but unfortunately there is none that can honestly make you feel better. I totally understand that feeling of being alone at night  and feeling single. Mine was an LESP ( law enforcement security police) in the military and worked rotating shifts , that was cool because we did spend some time together like a "normal" couple.  but then he got out of the Air Force and on the PD and he changed. He LOVED the night shift.  it eventually created lots of problems in our marriage. Talk to him about this. Watch carefully everything if makes the night shift his personal prefrence. the most important advice I can give you is to PRAY, Pray over you relationship, and his safety at work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)