Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They used to say wearing bigger clothes made you look slimmer..........

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM
  • 12 Replies

Then it was tight clothes. Did they ever figure that out? What do you think?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Plus-size-mommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Well, I'm a plus size woman and I have found that for me personally, if I wear baggier clothes I look sloppy and larger than what I really am. If I wear something more fitted, I look big naturally but I also look slightly more trimmed and nicer. Which sucks cause I like wearing the baggier clothes, cause I love to be comfy lol!

Mommygoose
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:15 AM

No way!!!!!!! lol Depends on where you are bigger. For tummies wear a shirt/dress that is smallest under the bust. If you have larger thighs wear pants that are dark and have a fuller/straight leg. Always wear shirts/jackets that hit at the waist, longer makes your legs look short. I love to watch What Not To Wear on TLC!! lol  

ittikay37
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I have noticed that if I wear more snug fitting clothes that I look thinner. I also wear black alot and over Thanksgiving my DS asked me how much weight I had lost and I was just wearing clothes that weren't baggy and black.

humanjunglegym
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I think you have to wear clothes that fit.  Not clothes that hang off your frame and not clothes that look painted on.  It's about creating the illusion of being proportionate too. lol. I'm short and top heavy.  I need clothes that make my top half look more slender and my bottom half longer.

CarlyQ
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I watch What Not to Wear and I agree with them that you look best in clothes that fit well. Tailored clothes that fit the way they are intended to. Big clothes add volume and tight clothes expose all the imperfections.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Click the flower to see my blog:
iHEAVENn
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM

This. :)

As long as the items fit well you should look great.

Quoting humanjunglegym:

I think you have to wear clothes that fit.  Not clothes that hang off your frame and not clothes that look painted on.  It's about creating the illusion of being proportionate too. lol. I'm short and top heavy.  I need clothes that make my top half look more slender and my bottom half longer.

m4m4
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM

whoever said that never saw stacy or clinton.  don't wear over sized OR too tight.  dont be afraid to go a size up though.  too much of one or the other just makes you look bigger.  and huge clothes just make you look sloppy.  try your usual size and if thats too tight go one size up. 

CafeMom Tickers
lhudson76
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I've always found that wearing bigger clothes makes me look and feel frumpy (especially in pictures).

Aurorasmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM

i think its somewhere in the middle...i prefer women with a figure, so curve hugging is always nice LOL

Momof5Teens67
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM

tattooI agree that watching "What Not To Wear " is helpful. Baggy clothes do make you look bigger and sloppier or frumpier too.  TIGHT clothes make you look like a sausage splitting out of your skin. lol or a popped can of Pillsbury crescent rolls. tee hee.

Clothes in your PROPER size that are form flattering and comfortable not TOO tight but fitting and show off your curves that are in the right places. Empire or fitted right under the bustline, a little bit longer tunic style bottom of the shirt. Nice detailing or accents around the neck all draw the eye upward. Again pants that fit properly NOT baggy and not TOO tight. They should fit comfortably not be falling down nor should you have to suck in your gut and hold your breath to zip them.

Wearing the same color shoe or boot as your pants makes your legs look longer and slimmer too.

Don't be afraid to wear other colors than black all the time.  ESPECIALLY in your shirts, draw the eyes upwards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)