Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your own personal stylist!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM
  • 10 Replies

Rope-Neck Rayon-Jersey DressHave you ever looked at the clothes on a model or even a friend and said "Hey that's cute",then you buy the same dress and it doesn't look good all of a sudden. That's because what looked good on the model or a friend may have very well to do with their body type versus yours.

So knowing your body type can help you when deciding what you can get away with. 

So the next time your shopping you will be able to look at clothes like these and tell whether you will be able to wear them. 

What ever your style may be,you will never ever be satisfied unless it fits!

SCENERIO: your invited to a gallery opening downtown and you need a nice black dress?

Stretch-Jersey Bandage DressCriss-Cross Stretch-Jersey DressEmbellished Linen-Cotton Polka Dot DressStrapless Dress with Mesh ShutterpleatsShutter-Pleat Dress with Rosette Detail Stretch-Cotton Dress  Strappy Stretch-Faille Dress Lace and Stretch-Jersey Illusion Dress Stretch-Silk Dress with Smocked Waist

You try all of these on which one do you think you'll end up buying and wearing to the event?

Note: I said you tried the dresses on,which is totally different from looking at a picture of them. If I was looking at them I'd choose the first one. But the question is will it flatter my body?

Most of the time we look for sizes. O.k I am a size ?.....the question mark stands for the confusion I have when it comes down to sizes. I may say o.k I wear an 8,I sometimes wear a 9,I have something that is a size 10? I am sure many of you have a confusion when it comes to sizes as well. My body has been through the changes of bearing children,so it isn't all together. I have a wider waist some tummy fat nowadays& bigger arms but I am not considered fat. Shopping for me can be very tricky! the chances of having tailored made custom clothes is very slim. So getting  back to my scenerio about shopping for a black dress for the gallery opening.

Traditionally, we may go to a dress rack at a store in the mall like Jc Penny. We tend to look for generalized sizes. Ex:Size 3,6,9,Plus sizes or S,M,L,XL. I may pick up something that says M or L and not be happy with it once I try it on.

The truth is designers differ when it comes to sizing. Many adjust sizes due to the mainstream.No designer is alike. So don't count on having the same fit with all.

In conclusion of the scenerio,If I just knew my body shape,I would save alot of time and frustration shopping for the black dress. 

But what if you didn't even have to go to the store and try on dresses? I know it sounds crazy and so contradictive. You can have a stylist!!!!!! O.k your thinking is this lady sane,not everyone is fortunate enough to have a personal stylist. And what does that have to do with this post?

If that's what your thinking I'll cut the crap and get to the point.

There is a Website where you can get your measurements done and enter your style preferences. They will take this info and determine your body type and even have clothes for you to see that will be perfect for your body.

They categorize your body according to the letters MYSHAPE,it's something you'll have to see! I know it can be confusing at first but it has something to do with apple shapes,pear shapes,hourglass shapes..e.t.c so instead of saying your an apple shape they may say your an P shape!

Do you see yourself somewhere in these shapes?

It's all according to your personal measurement. I think I got some measurements wrong but for the most part it was a real learning experience,plus I got to do something I love. Browse clothes!the new form of window shopping....LOL   

Plus-Size Boudoir Stretch-Lace DressThere's something for all shapes,so you don't have to look at the skinny models and get disappointed when you don't look like they do in clothes.Or you don't have to suffer not having the right fit cause your not skinny or fat.  Know your shape and take the guessing out of sizes!  

Now I will let you figure out the rest....Have fun!

My personal invitation http://www.myshape.com/shop/invite/1018397

Watch video http://myshape.fitnessmagazine.com/shop/my-shapecam

http://myshape.fitnessmagazine.com/

See my other relevant posts

http://www.cafemom.com/group/103401/forums/read/11412894/Your_Body_type_quiz?last#last

will add to the list,looking forward to posting more soon.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3angela
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I am an A shape....

lovinangels
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:43 AM

i would wear the one that is second to last.

loriec
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Quoting momof3angela:

I am an A shape....

Did you get a chance to visit the site? it's interesting to see how they can pick out clothes for you.

loriec
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Quoting lovinangels:

i would wear the one that is second to last.

Nice!

loriec
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM

BUMP!

loriec
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 5:00 PM

BUMP!

momof3angela
by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Lorie...you make me so excited to lose this weight....can not wait to try on different clothes.....the top pic dress is soooooo cute.  I did check out the site...thank you:)

trishasjunebug
by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Awesome post!!! :D I'd say I'm a mix between H and M.

loriec
by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Quoting momof3angela:

Lorie...you make me so excited to lose this weight....can not wait to try on different clothes.....the top pic dress is soooooo cute.  I did check out the site...thank you:)

That's right you did say you were losing weight! it sounds like your progressing.

I still have to find time & discipline to stay committed to battling the bulge. 

Keep up the good work Angela!

momof3angela
by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Thank you Lorie...it took a while for my 40 yr old body to wake up and realize I was exercising but it finally got it...LOL   Been to the gym 18/25 day's...not too bad:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)