Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You a Bag Lady?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

By Andrew Parker

5 Handbag Styles for Every Occasion

Fashionable handbags have long been the “must have” fashion accessory for the sophisticated lady. A stylish bag can pull everything together with both style and elegance. There are various styles of handbags available for women for the ultimate fashion statement...but what exactly are they?

1. A clutch bag is a small evening bag (ideal for keys, phone, and make-up) without a handle, which women hold in their hand or “clutch,” hence the name. The clutch is considered to be the most stylish and favorite choice for special events such as sophisticated dinner parties and black tie events.  

2. Half moon bags are bags that are shaped like a half moon, usually with a curve at the bottom having a straight/horizontal opening at the top. Half moon bags are popular for the evening but the larger sized versions are worn during the day.

3. Sling bags are casual bags that are worn over the shoulder with a long strap. A sling bag is smaller than a messenger (larger) bag. They provide plenty of space for accessories. Shoulder bags are generally used as a generic term for a wide range of handbags – but mainly to describe a bag with a long strap. 

4. A Tote bag is a medium to large bag with two straps that is used for more practical needs. Totes are usually big enough to store portable umbrellas, spare clothes, and other useful paraphernalia. For example, my mother uses a cheap tote-esque bag to carry her purchases home.

5. Muffs are bags that are made of real (yikes!) or faux fur (but can also be made from wool or velvet) which have a zippered compartment and a slip opening for hands for extra warmth during the bitter winter months.

Alas, there are lots of bag options available...which only adds to the bag-hunting fun!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
NessaLovesEmma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM
I need a new bag bad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMJ1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM
I like neither.

I guess it's because I need big bags at the moment. I ditched my diaper bag, so I now use normal handbags, that are big enough for diapers, snacks, toys, and my wallet and make up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLu5J
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I LOVE buying wallets and purses.  It's my obsession lol!

momof3_dll
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I love purses, I usually end up buying satchels or hobos.

-TheDuchess-
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I collect handbags like I do shoes and lipsticks!  I can never have too many!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)