Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hair loss after pregnancy...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM
  • 12 Replies

so after I had my DD I've been losing A LOT OF HAIR! Like everyday I will pull like hand full of hair. Has anyone taken anything to help with the hair loss? or even help it slow down? And how long will this last. Its so frustrating!

thanks!

Photobucket

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeartCharmMama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I don't know if there's much but a friend told me that a good Nioxin treatment helped her. She has a gorgeous mane.

lissalynn83
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I never took anything to help it, but dang I lost a lot of hair!! I have no idea how I didn't go bald!! I seem to remember it reached the worst of it at around 5-6 months post partum, and by 8 months after having her, I pretty much stopped losing it. 

NewMomsDiary
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Same thing happened with me, right after I had DD. I kept taking my prenatal vitamins for 6 months post-partum and ate A LOT of green veggies, mostly spinach. It stopped 8 months post-partum. I know it's a long time, but it'll grow back don't worry :) 

bama_mama07
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I did it for the longest time. I hated it. I didn't take anything for it. but I let it do its own course eventually it stopped

NoahsCoolMama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

This happened after my son was born as well. My hair was falling out like crazy, because my hormones were all over the place. I think it last 2-3 months for me and then my hair started coming back in thick again. I do not think there is anything you can do about it, because it is hormonal. You will probably just have to wait it out. Sorry!

momof3_dll
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Here's some info for you :)

Hair loss that is connected to pregnancy usually occurs after delivery. During pregnancy, an increased number of hairs go into the resting phase, which is part of the normal hair loss cycle. This condition is not serious enough to cause bald spots or permanent hair loss, and should begin to diminish within 3-4 months after delivery. If you feel that you are experiencing unusual hair loss while you are pregnant, this may be due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

There are a number of things that you might do to have healthier hair and/or reduce hair loss during pregnancy and after delivery:

• Consult with your health care provider to ensure a proper balance of hormones
  • Avoid pigtails, cornrows, hair weaves, braids and tight hair rollers which can pull and stress your hair
  • Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables, which contain flavonoids and antioxidants that may provide protection for the hair follicles and encourage hair growth
  • Use shampoos and conditioners that contain biotin and silica
  • Hair is fragile when it is wet, so be gentle; avoid fine tooth combs
  • If you need to use blow dryers and other heated hair instruments, try to use the cool setting
  • Make sure to take Vitamins A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. These are all helpful supporting the natural hair regrowth cycle.
bmanz
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM

My son is 4 months old, and I am still losing a lot of hair. It is also dry and tangly. I have always loved my hair and now I can't stand it, I just keep it in a bun all day because it is impossible to fix. :(

JCTVCBN
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I've lost a lot of hair too, but I never took anything.

krise
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 7:27 PM

that happened to me after i had my first, I think mine was caused by the depo shot I was taking at the time. It was horrible. I could see bald spots and I gained a ton of weight. never did that again.

kgmmw
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM
I lost hair too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)