• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obey!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do you ever wash dry clean only garments?  I do a lot but in gentle cycle or just soak and never tumble dry, instead hang or lay flat to dry.  Here are some helpful tips from this wisegeek website:

Pay attention to what type of fabric you’ll be washing. Wool is notorious for shrinking, and you might look instead for garments that are washable wool, which are now available with greater frequency. Materials like rayon and linen may also recommend dry cleaning, but they may survive a cold-water wash on a gentle cycle.

You should not machine wash dry clean only clothing of certain types. For instance, suits or tuxedos should be taken to the cleaners, and never thrown in a washing machine. Anything you’ve paid a lot of money for and want to keep, if it only recommends dry cleaning should not be washed. Don’t put your wedding dress, formal gowns, winter coats or the like in the washer unless you want to replace them. Fabrics with very delicate lace, beading, or special creases, stitching, or ruching probably won’t survive your washing machine.

http://www.wisegeek.com/can-i-machine-wash-dry-clean-only-clothing.htm

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LMJ1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM
I have yet to meet someone who has put a fancy dress gown in a washer.

:-p

My good clothes usually go in the delicates cycle and then air dried.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glamorous_mami
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM
LOL I'm bad I never wash my clothes like I'm supposed to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondiemomof2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM
I have. I have a pretty gentle washer. I try not to get anything dry clean only though
momof3_dll
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM
I use Dryel
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NessaLovesEmma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I don't even know if I own anything that is dry clean only... LOL

HollyHawk333
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM
I have a dry clean setting on my washer. But I don't buy dry clean only clothes often
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elle31106
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM
I always follow the label. All my dry clean only clothes do in fact go to the dry cleaners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamaat
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Same here

Quoting elle31106:

I always follow the label. All my dry clean only clothes do in fact go to the dry cleaners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMKristy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I basically follow those rules!! My washer has a hand wash cycle, which is what I use. It also doesn't have the center agitator, which I was told is better for gentle items!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)