Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

---The STIR:Ban on Teachers Wearing Jeans Is Best for Everyone ---

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think teachers should be allowed to wear jeans?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/131472/ban_on_teachers_wearing_jeans

Ban on Teachers Wearing Jeans Is Best for Everyone

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on January 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

jeansUsually students are the ones protesting dress codes, but in one New York elementary school, it's the teachers whose attire has come under fire. At P.S. 64 Robert Simon School, the principal is cracking down on teachers who he says have started coming to school in clothing that's much too casual.

Among the items he's requested they stop wearing are flip flops, gym clothing, and the biggie ... jeans. That decree on denim has left more than a few defending the rights of teachers, but I think the ban is for the best. 

Yes, things have changed when it comes to professional attire; somewhere in the last couple of decades, casual Friday seeped into the rest week kicking suits and stockings to the curb. Today, many industries and offices allow jeans, and that's fine, but teachers are different. Mainly, because they're dealing with children -- children who often need clear and distinct boundaries.

Teachers wearing jeans and flip flops blend in with the children, while a nice set of slacks sets them apart -- where they should be. Children have enough problems respecting authority for authority to not be asserted in big ways and in small.

Seeing teachers dressing to impress also sets an example about a professional appearance for children. As principal Marlon Hosang told WTSP, "I think we need to teach our children early on that there's a certain way you dress to go to a ball game versus going to your job."

Besides preschool and some special event days here and there, the teachers my son has had have never worn jeans. Would it be the worst thing if they did? No, but I think that little extra effort in their attire elevates them in students' eyes, even if ever so slightly,  and that can make a big difference overall.

Do you think teachers should be allowed to wear jeans? Do they at your child's school?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LMJ1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM
I think they should be allowed, but you know there will always be the one who will wear the tight low rise style, spoiling it for everyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SugarrCane
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Teachers should definitely be allowed to wear jeans.  

s.adams83
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I agree

Quoting LMJ1:

I think they should be allowed, but you know there will always be the one who will wear the tight low rise style, spoiling it for everyone else.

TexasWife
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Flip flops I sort of agree with. Jeans I think are ok though. I mean you have recess and are chasing after kids there. Our teachers in high school were allowed to wear jeans. I didn't think that they had any less authority. Gym clothes I would reserve for gym teachers.  

TenleysMomma
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

There are NICE jeans that I would be perfectly ok with my child's teacher wearing!

Make sure you check out my facebook page Style Me Pretty!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Style-Me-Pretty/224424784306139

Search & Win

NessaLovesEmma
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I think they should be allowed to wear jeans.

Christy619
by Christy on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM
I think nice, tasteful jeans are fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they are in a professional type position, and should dress accordingly.  I don't think it needs to go over board...but, I'm not convinced they should wear jeans.  It makes me crazy at my daughters school...not jeans...but, I have seen teachers showing a bit too much cleavage.  I'm not a prude by any means...but it bugs me during teaching hours.  Also...I see them wear sandals and flip flops...and the kids aren't alowd...so that bugs me too =(

bella-ragazza
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Our youth, today, no longer respect authority.  Teachers are in a position where they should be commanding and respecting authority.  I disagree with the jeans.  A student is going to have more respect for the authoritative figure who is wearing a suit, professional and/or properly attired,  compared to that same teacher wearing jeans. 

I think it goes hand in hand with the lack of respect that is commonplace today.  No to jeans, in my opinion, and flip flops -- definitely not.  :(

ana326
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Jeans are fine. Flip flops no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)