Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

The buzz about BB creams

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 9 Replies

BB Creams: What the Newest Beauty Craze is All About

by JANINE

If you haven’t already heard some of the buzz on BB creams, you will — you’ll be seeing a lot of them over the next several months.

So, what are BB creams? If you think of this stuff as a miracle cream, you’ll be underwhelmed. But if you think of it as a one-step makeup time saver — great.

BB Creams are simply a mash up of several products you’re probably already applying. Based on a formula developed in 1968 by German derm Dr. Christine Schrammek-Drusio to soothe, protect and lightly camouflage patients’ skin after cosmetic work, BB creams are multi-taskers that combine skincare ingredients with moisturizer, primer, foundation and SPF. Also referred to as beauty balms or blemish balms, they became wildly popular in Korea when a famous Korean actress credited one for her flawless complexion.

Over the last year or so, several BB Creams have popped up in North America. Maybelline New York, MAC and Clinique have aleady launched versions (none of which is available to Canadians right now, sorry). But, released earlier this year in the US and available at Sephora there, Boscia BB Cream will officially hit Canada in January. Garnier debuted their BB Cream in Europe a few months ago; it’ll be on Canadian drugstore shelves in January, too, as will Estée Lauder Daywear BB Cream SPF 35. And in February, look for a BB Cream (sans SPF) from Canadian brand Marcelle.

The Western formulas are a bit different from the brands that are popular in Korea — those tend to be a bit more opaque, with cooler undertones (Monica of BeautyParler.ca reviewed Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream here). In Asia, the beauty ideal is flawless, porcelain skin. In North America, we like glowing-with-health skin, so our BB creams are more sheer, designed to give the complexion a radiant finish.They’re somewhere between tinted moisturizer and medium-coverage foundation. Skincare ingredients vary, but can include hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, brightening ingredients such as Vitamin C, and antioxidants.

BB creams can be used on their own, or as a base (like primer) for regular foundation. They generally come in one or two shades designed to suit a wide range of skintones. Apply sparingly.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Sassycafemom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I have a similar product from DHC...it's great as a "temporary fix".

erikays
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Oh cool! I've never heard of this, thanks for posting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bama_mama07
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM

never heard this..thanks for this

Apr1l
by Katie on May. 2, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I like the Boscia one, I've been using it for about a year on and off, its crazy bc a lot of BB ceams only come in like 1 or two shades but somehow work

sophiesmom07
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Quoting Apr1l:

I like the Boscia one, I've been using it for about a year on and off, its crazy bc a lot of BB ceams only come in like 1 or two shades but somehow work

Do you consider this a good replacement to primer?

Apr1l
by Katie on May. 2, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I don't use a primer, but I think it would be a good replacement bc of all the silicone in it smoothing things out.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

Quoting Apr1l:

Do you consider this a good replacement to primer?

NessaLovesEmma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

interesting

nikki.in.nc
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Good to know BC I had no idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenniferlee_12
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Never heard of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)