Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

The Cheapest, Most Stylish Way to Upgrade Your Mom "Uniform"

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  • 36 Replies
2 moms liked this

Want to know how you can put on the same clothes every day and yet still look like you're wearing a different outfit every time? Style blogger Sarah James has the answer, and it's one that won't break the bank!

I actually discovered the first trick for myself last year and now I have quite a collection of colorful statement necklaces that I get tons of compliments on. Do you have a favorite accessory that gives otherwise boring outfits a little "pop" of color or style? Post pictures here!

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahmae
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I use scarves or statement jewelry a lot

Cafe Amanda
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I am a bit of an accessory junkie.

Here's a favorite necklace of mine. I actually got it at Pier 1 for just $5! My 5-year-old son actually spotted it on the rack first and told me I should try it on. :)

And although I've been coveting a super-expensive green leather bag on Etsy for months, I recently found a cheaper, more practical green bag at Payless! It's perfect for toting my laptop to the office, or kid essentials when I'm not working, or beach stuff on the weekends.(They've sold out in the green but the blue is marked down to only $10 now!)

I also some great ecklaces from Payless on a buy one, get the second half-off deal. Here's a pic of me in one of them:

It's lightweight wooden beads - perfect for summer!

Another thing I love are cheap resin rings, especially since I got divorced. I felt weird with nothing on my ring finger and a big honking plastic ring felt appropriate somehow. ;) Old Navy has these for a few dollars usually - I have them in yellow, black and magenta now. They also have a great selection of necklaces too!

I should probably stop before I get carried away. Show me your finds!

thingz123
by Cheryl on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

My biggest pop is just the jewelry that I like to make. I'm also big on flats with something extra-a cute buckle, maybe flowers, some flannel, glitter, etc.

I will make one comment about the jewelry-I do make pendants, but most of mine tend to be simpler ones, because a lot of times, I will be wearing a top with some kind of bold pattern on it and I don't want the pendant to compete with the top. The statement necklaces that I do have, I tend to wear them with the visually simpler tops. Or, I will wear a simpler top with more than 1 simple necklace.

jenniferlee_12
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I don't really accessorize a lot. Only special occasions.

Cafe Amanda
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I usually wear solid color shirts. If I wear something with a pattern, I have a few plain silver necklaces I rotate in. :)

Quoting thingz123:

I will make one comment about the jewelry-I do make pendants, but most of mine tend to be simpler ones, because a lot of times, I will be wearing a top with some kind of bold pattern on it and I don't want the pendant to compete with the top. The statement necklaces that I do have, I tend to wear them with the visually simpler tops. Or, I will wear a simpler top with more than 1 simple necklace.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I use jewelry, too.

Quoting sarahmae:

I use scarves or statement jewelry a lot

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

All cute, cute stuff!

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

I am a bit of an accessory junkie.

Here's a favorite necklace of mine. I actually got it at Pier 1 for just $5! My 5-year-old son actually spotted it on the rack first and told me I should try it on. :)

And although I've been coveting a super-expensive green leather bag on Etsy for months, I recently found a cheaper, more practical green bag at Payless! It's perfect for toting my laptop to the office, or kid essentials when I'm not working, or beach stuff on the weekends.(They've sold out in the green but the blue is marked down to only $10 now!)

I also some great ecklaces from Payless on a buy one, get the second half-off deal. Here's a pic of me in one of them:

It's lightweight wooden beads - perfect for summer!

Another thing I love are cheap resin rings, especially since I got divorced. I felt weird with nothing on my ring finger and a big honking plastic ring felt appropriate somehow. ;) Old Navy has these for a few dollars usually - I have them in yellow, black and magenta now. They also have a great selection of necklaces too!

I should probably stop before I get carried away. Show me your finds!

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Ooh, nothing better than cute jewelry that you know is one of a kind because you make it yourself! :)

Quoting thingz123:

My biggest pop is just the jewelry that I like to make. I'm also big on flats with something extra-a cute buckle, maybe flowers, some flannel, glitter, etc.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

On an everyday basis, I don't, either. I work from home and the kids ride the bus to and from school, so it seems silly to dress up and accessorize when I'm just going to be on the laptop or doing laundry or something, lol. But if I go out, watch out! ;)

Quoting jenniferlee_12:

I don't really accessorize a lot. Only special occasions.

thingz123
by Cheryl on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Ooh, nothing better than cute jewelry that you know is one of a kind because you make it yourself! :)

Quoting thingz123:

Amen to that!!! It's a really cool form of self expression!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)