Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

The Cheapest, Most Stylish Way to Upgrade Your Mom "Uniform"

Posted by   + Show Post

Want to know how you can put on the same clothes every day and yet still look like you're wearing a different outfit every time? Style blogger Sarah James has the answer, and it's one that won't break the bank!

I actually discovered the first trick for myself last year and now I have quite a collection of colorful statement necklaces that I get tons of compliments on. Do you have a favorite accessory that gives otherwise boring outfits a little "pop" of color or style? Post pictures here!

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
erikays
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Necklaces and eyeglasses for me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raven1114
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I may just start doing this more. My wardrobe could use some sprucing up but I really don't have the money to buy a lot of new clothing. Perhaps something like this would work.

workoutmom2b1g
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I've been starting to accessorize a lot more lately. Buying some earrings or a necklace is a lot cheaper then buying a $30.00 shirt all the time. 

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I rarely use accessories. I've been wanting to but I have not gotten around to it, lol.

ZsMommy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

(psst-lol) Or she comes to me for pendants)

Giggles n runs

(Cheryl & I are friends and fellow jewelry makers)

Quoting thingz123:

My biggest pop is just the jewelry that I like to make. I'm also big on flats with something extra-a cute buckle, maybe flowers, some flannel, glitter, etc.

I will make one comment about the jewelry-I do make pendants, but most of mine tend to be simpler ones, because a lot of times, I will be wearing a top with some kind of bold pattern on it and I don't want the pendant to compete with the top. The statement necklaces that I do have, I tend to wear them with the visually simpler tops. Or, I will wear a simpler top with more than 1 simple necklace.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Quoting Cafe Amanda:

I am a bit of an accessory junkie.

Here's a favorite necklace of mine. I actually got it at Pier 1 for just $5! My 5-year-old son actually spotted it on the rack first and told me I should try it on. :)

And although I've been coveting a super-expensive green leather bag on Etsy for months, I recently found a cheaper, more practical green bag at Payless! It's perfect for toting my laptop to the office, or kid essentials when I'm not working, or beach stuff on the weekends.(They've sold out in the green but the blue is marked down to only $10 now!)

I also some great ecklaces from Payless on a buy one, get the second half-off deal. Here's a pic of me in one of them:

It's lightweight wooden beads - perfect for summer!

Another thing I love are cheap resin rings, especially since I got divorced. I felt weird with nothing on my ring finger and a big honking plastic ring felt appropriate somehow. ;) Old Navy has these for a few dollars usually - I have them in yellow, black and magenta now. They also have a great selection of necklaces too!

I should probably stop before I get carried away. Show me your finds!

Pier 1 usually has some really cute jewelry and it's usually pretty reasonably priced.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Since becoming a SAHM, I don't do a lot with accessories except for special occasions. I miss buying jewelry, but it's not in the budget...
thingz123
by Cheryl on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Quoting ZsMommy:

(psst-lol) Or she comes to me for pendants)

Giggles n runs

(Cheryl & I are friends and fellow jewelry makers)

Quoting thingz123:

My biggest pop is just the jewelry that I like to make. I'm also big on flats with something extra-a cute buckle, maybe flowers, some flannel, glitter, etc.

I will make one comment about the jewelry-I do make pendants, but most of mine tend to be simpler ones, because a lot of times, I will be wearing a top with some kind of bold pattern on it and I don't want the pendant to compete with the top. The statement necklaces that I do have, I tend to wear them with the visually simpler tops. Or, I will wear a simpler top with more than 1 simple necklace.

True dat. Heids (zsmommy) makes some really gorgeous wire wrapped pendants, in particular. It's one of her specialties. Mine is probably bracelets, but I do wire wrapped rings and earrings, too.

erikays
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Me too :/

Quoting raven1114:

I may just start doing this more. My wardrobe could use some sprucing up but I really don't have the money to buy a lot of new clothing. Perhaps something like this would work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh and Cafe Amanda, you're adorable! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)