Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Need to replace all of my makeup - suggestions?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

Okay, ladies, I've got a special event coming up and I realized when I pulled out my makeup bag that most everything in it is expired, and I don't mean expired as in just past the recommended dates the makers tell you, but expired as in I probably shouldn't even touch the containers, lol. I haven't had occasion to wear it in recent months, and it shows.

I try not to spend much money on my makeup since I rarely use it, but I'm going to be needing it more and more in the coming months and I want some good stuff. Currently, I have some Cover Girl mineral powder foundation and blush, Maybelline Colossal Volume mascara, some Cover Girl eyeshadow pack with brown/neutral tones, a brown brow/eye liner pencil and a few tubes of lipstick in various shades that work well with my skin (I'm a redhead with green eyes and fair skin). I know there are better options out there and it's time to overhaul and update my stash, especially with the holidays around the bend.

So, what are your favorite foundations, shadows, mascaras, lipsticks, etc.? Your favorite brands? Your must-haves?

ETA: I'm in my late 30s and I just need light coverage that won't make me look too shiny.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Go to Sephora and just play around with the products :). They people there are an amazing help. My mom is a red head and really loves her bare mineral makeup only shades she has found that suit her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PINKmyfavcolor
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM

We don't have a Sephora around, but I'm sure there has to be another store like that where I could find something.

Quoting KelliansMom:

Go to Sephora and just play around with the products :). They people there are an amazing help. My mom is a red head and really loves her bare mineral makeup only shades she has found that suit her.

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Even just going to the counters at department stores is nice. They will also give you samples to try out for a while.

Quoting PINKmyfavcolor:

We don't have a Sephora around, but I'm sure there has to be another store like that where I could find something.

Quoting KelliansMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gabby416
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have green eyes too, I love one eye shadow in particular, it's loreal studio secretsin lavender smokes.  plum colors really bring out my eyes and its fairly nutral too.  I use M.A.C. blush and I prefer lipstains to lipstick most days. 

littlemascara
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM

do you have an Ulta?  you can test foundations.  and I highly suggest Uban DEcay "Naked" palette, I like #1.  You can do a bazzilion looks from very natural to glam for holiday.  Add a good mascara, the right foundation a good blush and gloss... you're set.  My all time favorite gloss ever is NARS Orgasm.  Goes on ANY skin tone.  I'm fair, red head, green eyes Irish.  I don't like a lot of coverage, and I like dewy... I like Guerlain Lingerie de Peu.  I'm using a cream blush  from Korres called EROS and using their new mascara, but Guerlain Noir de G mascara is the best mascara EVER.

Sarah--L0VE
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Woo Hoo! My favorite kind of post!!

Almay for blue eyes
It looks GREAT with red hair and your eyes will really pop.

Diorshow Mascara
Probably my favorite mascara in existance

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
Easy to apply... and it really does stay all day!

Dior
Lip Plumper

Ch-ch-check it out :)

Sarah

Apr1l
by Katie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM
The maybelline colossal mascara u have is pretty good, for more impact curl your lashes first, elf has descent curlers for something like $3.
Eco tools brushes are affordable and easy to use for eyeshadow blusher liner etc
I think cream eyeshadow is a fast way to get some color on your lids and its not complicated as regular eyeshadow. The color tattoos by maybelline are good, colorful easy to use affordable.
Foundation and concealer are things I spend extra on, bare minerals would be something u would probably like, Laura mercier is absolutely beautiful finish on the face
Lipstick loves of mine are nars semi matte...but u said no sephora so try Mac has beautiful lipsticks, but Victorias secret's lipsticks are also pretty and around $11 each soft application good staying power and lovely colors, they also have great shadows
These aren't my favs just recommendations don't make me choose favs lol I love it too much haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zadidoll
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PINKmyfavcolor:

I try not to spend much money on my makeup since I rarely use it, but I'm going to be needing it more and more in the coming months and I want some good stuff. Currently, I have some Cover Girl mineral powder foundation and blush, Maybelline Colossal Volume mascara, some Cover Girl eyeshadow pack with brown/neutral tones, a brown brow/eye liner pencil and a few tubes of lipstick in various shades that work well with my skin (I'm a redhead with green eyes and fair skin). I know there are better options out there and it's time to overhaul and update my stash, especially with the holidays around the bend.

So, what are your favorite foundations, shadows, mascaras, lipsticks, etc.? Your favorite brands? Your must-haves?

ETA: I'm in my late 30s and I just need light coverage that won't make me look too shiny.

Beauty on a budget huh. If you have a Rite Aid or CVS I would suggest buying there because they have great return policies if the product isn't for you.

Foundation: If you need light coverage then maybe a whipped foundation. I believe Revlon has one now that's nice. I don't use drugstore foundations any longer (I'm learning airbrushing) so I really have no suggestions.

Shadows: Special event means - to me - typically a smokey eye. Wet 'n' Wild's Petal Pusher ($4.99) has some beautiful colors.

Mascaras: Rimmel London has some nice mascaras. There is one by Milani that I've been dying to try because of the brush applicator.

Lipsticks: You'll want a long lasting one. If you do a smokey eye you want a neutral lip.

Wish I could be more help but I don't use many drugstore lines any longer.

blondiemomof2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:02 AM
Powder products last well past the exp date. As long as the scent and texture hasn't changed its ok to use :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PINKmyfavcolor
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yeah, there's one in the Target center near me, so I'll have to check that out. Thanks! :)

Quoting littlemascara:

do you have an Ulta?  you can test foundations.  and I highly suggest Uban DEcay "Naked" palette, I like #1.  You can do a bazzilion looks from very natural to glam for holiday.  Add a good mascara, the right foundation a good blush and gloss... you're set.  My all time favorite gloss ever is NARS Orgasm.  Goes on ANY skin tone.  I'm fair, red head, green eyes Irish.  I don't like a lot of coverage, and I like dewy... I like Guerlain Lingerie de Peu.  I'm using a cream blush  from Korres called EROS and using their new mascara, but Guerlain Noir de G mascara is the best mascara EVER.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)