Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

How Do I sort through my massive wardrobe?

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, So I have heard that if you don't wear something for like 6 months you should give it away, but I do wear a lot of my clothes most of the time. I have drawerfuls of pants, jeans, sweatpants and closetful of shirts, skirts, sweaters, etc. I don't know where to begin on giving away. I did get rid of some of my really heavy turtle neck sweaters, but don't know where else to go. I also have multiple sizes as if I gain or lose 5 lbs. I am in a different size. My closet rod has already bent due to the weight of my clothes. Any suggestions, advice? I live in Pittsburgh, PA and have 4 distinct seasons. I do put away most of my summer stuff and then get out fall/winter.

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angeline
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Just go through each drawer and make two different piles: things you wear, things you don't wear any more. Donate/throw away the ones u don't wear anymore/ will never wear. Simple as that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondiemomof2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Send it to me! Ill do it for you....lol
aidyns_mommy
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
You give it all too me. Easy. Done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I just went through this myself.  I was having my bathroom and closet painted, so I had to empty my closet completely.  It was a MESS!!!  I had stuff that I don't wear, or did not fit or out of style and a ton of purses and shoes that I rarely used.  Once the paint dried, I only put back stuff that I do wear, gave away everything else.  I found wool slacks with pleats, heck I am never wearing pleats again, so those went.  Gave some of my old smaller purses to my DD to play with, and only kept my designer purses since I have enough of those.  Anything that was not in perfect shape went also.  I also asked the opinion of my DH, if he did not think it looked good on me, then it went.

Now my closet is neat, and perfectly organized.  Everything is categorized and put together, blouses are all together, sweaters, jackets, jeans, dress slacks, casual slacks etc...  Now I even have more variety of what I wear since I found things I forgot about and I can find everything I have.

CafeMom Tickers
catherine_b
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM
I should do this too! :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autiemama516
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I need help too!

jenniferlee_12
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Some people hang clothes back up in a different directions and get rid of stuff at the end of the year that they haven't worn.

lilbit53009
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM
i have the same problem. every time i try to get rid of clothes i throw out like 2 things and make no difference. i always feel like if i get rid of something, i'm going to need it later
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I have gone through this!   Go drawer by drawer. You  may have to try on a few pieces.  Get a few bins ready, one for keeping and one for donating. I'd keep a few larger size pieces, but only one size up. The rest, donate. If they are classic pieces, keep them, you can always incorporate them into your wardrobe.  If there are too many of the same kind, like too many black long sleeve tees, keep 2. Donate the rest. 

my4boys2002
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM
I clear my closets by season, everything goes. I have a few closets one for blazers, sweaters another for blouses, short sleeved shirts. I try to get rid of a lot monthly as I add a lot on a monthly basis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)