Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Brouhaha Over Wet Hair!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 118 Replies
3 moms liked this

Have you heard all the squabbling that is going on over at The Stir over whether women should leave the house with wet hair? It is not to be believed. Michelle Zipp has an article over at the Beauty and Style forum (?) saying that leaving the house with wet hair was something she would never do before she had kids. She would NEVER leave the house with her hair wet-it just didn't look professional and made it seem as if you were too slovenly, hung over, etc. to care about what you look like.

I had to go and take personal offense (LOL), because my hair is NOT dry when I leave the house. I used to chemically straighten it, blow dry it, beat it down some more with the ceramic iron, the whole nine yards. I don't do any of this anymore-it is naturally curly, and beating it into submission was not beneficial for it, to put it mildly. I wash it twice a week, and on non wash days, I have to spritz it in order to apply 2 styling products to it in order to activate the curl pattern in it. So yeah, it's gonna be damp when I leave the house.

I've never had anyone accost me about why it was damp when I got to work. Granted, it is not dripping wet and it's not straight, so it will look different than someone who has bone straight hair that just got out of the shower. But honestly, all this nastiness about whether someone's hair is wet or dry when they go out in public, it's just crazy.

Do you guys think wet hair sends the impression that you don't care what you look like and/or a boss would take one look at you and figure that you can't do your job properly, because you can't even attend to your own grooming?

There is an awful lot of meanness flying around for a topic that should be really unimportant, IMO.

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ae86mommy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM
I think it's just not a professional look. When I did work, I wouldn't have left the house with wet hair. I just showered at night and pinned my hair so my waves would be straight in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AgapeLove2U
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

my hair looks better a bit damp, less fly aways, and in the warmer months i can rol lmy window down , cruise around and air dry, lol and then just before i go inside, brush and up she goes

sophiesmom07
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM

When I worked I never left home with my hair wet.    I don't think it's that big of an issue though.

thingz123
by Cheryl on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Quoting sophiesmom07:

When I worked I never left home with my hair wet.    I don't think it's that big of an issue though.

Mine is almost always damp when I leave for work, but as my husband pointed out, it really doesn't look WET. There's never water dripping out of it and it's not flattened. It's really thick and you can always see curls in it (in a non chemically altered state), so the average bystander may not even think anything about it. My husband goes out with his hair straight out of the shower-it has a much bigger curl pattern than mine and is much finer, so having really wet hair does make a difference in the way his looks. But I never think, "Couldn't he just run a towel through it or something?" Not that big of a deal to me.

Nicky2911
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Seriously I have similar hair... I have to wet my hair just to comb it so it doesn't look like a rats nest and the products I put on it to keep it from going completely crazy take hours to fully dry (a hairdryer is a big no-no for my easily damaged, scary dry hair unless the heat is completely off which the cold gives me a major headache).

Tbh it looks better wet anyway. People are always saying "wow I didn't know your hair could look like that it is so pretty what did you do?" and I just say "its still wet thats what :) "

diaperstodating
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Bump
Mommy4000
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I leave the house with wet hair often if I'm short on time and running the kids to school or need to get to the store. But I would never go to work with wet hair. To me it looks lazy.

LadySaphira

I rather leave the house with my hair damp too. My hair is much like yours, very thick, lots of body, and curly. when it is dry it gets frizzy. Whay do you use to keep yours under controll, I have found nothing that works on mine.

LucyHarper
2 moms liked this

I don't like to go out with wet hair, just don't like how it looks, that's more of a personal preference, but I would never go to work with wet hair, I think it just looks unprofessional. 

ashisamom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I always leave with my hair wet, but it is brushed and put up in a style of some sort. Usually a bun or a braid. My hair is super thick and usually still wet when I take it down when I get home. I cannot put my hair up if it isn't wet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)