Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Avon & Mary Kay Success Stories - Let's hear them!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi,

So I'm thinking about selling Avon.  I'm interested in hearing success (& horror) stories about selling make-up and accessories. Any tips or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. I'm excited about being my own boss, too.  I'm all ears!

Thanks!

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christy619
by Christy on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM
I have never sold makeup but I do sell a jewelry line. It is more for fun (and a discount) for me though. ;) There are several ladies that make a living doing direct sales though. I think it all depends on how much you put into it...finding people to host shows, vendor events, advertising and marketing via fb,
twitter, pinterest. Etc. A lot of people blog as well. I think networking is really important too, like finding people in your area who also do direct sales. I once partnered with a Mary Kay rep at a vendor event, and she continues let me know when she finds events. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I was selling mark (owned by Avon) but a lot of the products I found not worth the money and I am starting to feel like I'm aging out of the brand. Never made much from it but I also didn't apply myself like I should have. Weigh many direct sales its all about what you put I to it the more you work at it te more you will get out of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_twinmommy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your feedback.  Christy619, my sister sells Mary Kay which she says really focuses on skin care and I'm leaning more toward Avon because of the makeup colors and selections plus the accessories.  My sister says she would partner with me on stuff/events and such.  That's cool.

jenniferlee_12
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I tried Mary Kay and it was terrible. They acted like a cult and pushed you to buy buy buy inventory. I was stuck with so much inventory. I just sold some more on Ebay and lost my butt on it. It is sad how much I lost and have sitting there still. There are so many people in the market that it is hard. If you know a lot of people it may be easier and if you do events and fairs it might work. Good luck.

Kris_twinmommy
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Thx for sharing! Sorry to hear that your experience wasn't that great. It concerns me...I'm no socialite queen either but I'm hoping that ppl will see me experimenting with diff makeup and accessories and will inquire with me, giving me the opportunity to talk to them about the products and hopefully sell some, too. Fingers crossed.
Apr1l
by Katie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

wow hope it works out for you.

cueballsmom
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Quoting Kris_twinmommy:

Thx for sharing! Sorry to hear that your experience wasn't that great. It concerns me...I'm no socialite queen either but I'm hoping that ppl will see me experimenting with diff makeup and accessories and will inquire with me, giving me the opportunity to talk to them about the products and hopefully sell some, too. Fingers crossed.

I have no idea and wish you luck, but I did want to point out a helpful tip.
Using the quote button sends a notification to who you are talking to, using post doesn't.
Kris_twinmommy
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Ok, thx for the tip!

Quoting cueballsmom:

Quoting Kris_twinmommy:

I have no idea and wish you luck, but I did want to point out a helpful tip.

Using the quote button sends a notification to who you are talking to, using post doesn't.
cueballsmom
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Quoting Kris_twinmommy:

no problem! It helps you to have an actual conversation.

The only think I know about Mary Kay, is when my grandmother stopped doing it and sold her samples. I got a ton of one time use make up at eight years old! Lol! I was the make over queen, so long as you didn't mind looking like Mimi from the drew Carey show.
RidingPink
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Coaching a new person to be their own boss and make money you decide 1.  Are you ready right now 2.Not ready right now or 3. Never going to be ready.  You will determine your own success according to your decision.     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)