Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ask the Expert: How do you create beauty from within? WINNER ANNOUNCED

Posted by   + Show Post

Congratulations to Lovingmommywife as the winner of the Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions - Ask the Expert Giveaway!

Beauty is more than skin deep! Diet, lifestyle - even attitude can impact the way we feel AND the way we look!   

Want to learn more? 

We're thrilled that natural beauty expert, Jessa Blades, will be joining us to answer YOUR questions on how to enhance your beauty, naturally!

Jessa Blades is a makeup artist, natural beauty expert and women's health advocate. You can learn more about Jessa here!

Ask Jessa your questions in the replies below, and you'll be entered to win a $25 gift card from drugstore.com!                                        

Jessa's answers begin here >>

Giveaway rules:
The giveaway starts 1/10/13 at 9 am (ET) and ends 1/20/2013 at midnight (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").

• Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $25 gift card to drugstore.com.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 1/21/13.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Replies (121-130):
Dardenella
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I am 60 and for the last maybe 4 years I have been grwing a beard.  No a few hairs here and ther but basically a beard All along the jawline and throat I have mostly my original blackis hair with some silver thrown in.  I hvae plucked at the begininnig, I have shaved (I know not the best idea) and I have waxwed a lot.  Waxing is expensive when the hair is showing right back up before 48 hours is up.

Do you have any idea what I can do to tame this problem?

slwaw1108
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Hello all,

I just joined today and my question is, I am 39 years old and I have been looking faithfully to find something that works for African American Skin. My skin is very dry all year long and nothing that I buy has worked. Also I need something to get rid of the skin blemishes on my face. Please help me, I need something that works miracles!!

Angellinda
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My hair is dry, Thick  & frizzy.. Before Triple Negative Breast Cancer it was silky, long & Beautiful.. All of my hair is under 2 1/2 years new!! Since I lost every single hair of my body from Chemo. Thank you for replying!!

Jessa_Blades
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommyoftwoluvs:

What can I do about dry skin specially in my face ???

Hi Mommyoftwoluvs!

Dry skin is frustrating, that's for sure! Especially during the winter time when it seems like it just won't go away. I don't think you're alone in that one. But I can offer you a couple of suggestions....

When choosing a daily cleanser, try to avoid ingredients like sodium laurel sulfate and alcohol, which strip your skin of their natural/protective oils. Instead choose a cleanser that is milky or creamy in texture - one that doesn't make your skin feel tight after use.

For moisturizing, try a skin oil (ideally organic) that contains either olive/almond/jojoba/coconut oil.

A great face oil to start with is an Argan Oil because it is less greasy than some other oils.

I really like: bit.ly/ZR5WIT

Drinking water consistently, eating high quality fish oils and avoiding caffeinated beverages are also helpful ways to combat that winter dryness!

Best of luck!

Jessa

Jessa_Blades
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Quoting madmueller:

Greetings Jessica!

I have heard this on numerous occasions from fellow friends but wanted to know if this is true - and safe?

Does using preparation H or Tucks really help to get rid of wrinkles around the eyes and on the forehead?

I know it sounds nasty, but just would like to know if it actually works?

Hey Madmueller!

So. Good question. While those products may seem to be working, in reality they are only temporary fixes. My advice, when choosing skincare, is generally to avoid ingredients like mineral oil, petrolatum, methylparaben, to name a few. And unfortunately, Prep H contains all three of those and others that are harsh on your skin.

A replacement for Tucks however, could be a Witch Hazel toner as witch hazel actually makes up 50% of it!

A helpful hint when trying to make the transition from non-natural to natural products is to look for the ingredients on the bottle that you know to be safe/natural and try to find them in their purest form.

Best of luck!

Jessa

Jessa_Blades
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Apr1l:

Hello =)
What are your favorite make up brands?

Hi Apri1l!

I am currently really excited about....

-Jane Iredale Cosmetics

-Primitive Lipstick

-W3LL People

-Ilia lipstick

-Here are more of my favorites

Jessa_Blades
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Quoting nana9106:

Do you have any suggestions for under eye bags and puffiness?

Hi nana9106!

A couple of thoughts:

-Avoid salty foods

-Make sure you are drinking enough water

-Drinking dandelion tea or eating dandelion leaves in your salad

-Investing in a good eye cream

-Making a strong dandelion tea, steeping it for 10-20 minutes and cooling it down in the fridge and then placing the cold tea bag on your eye.

-Making sure you get enough sleep! Easier said than done, I know...

Jessa_Blades
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Quoting MommeisQueen:

What would you recommend as natural exfoliant?

Dear MommeisQueen

Good question!

First off, though exfoliating can be lovely, refreshing and helpful, it can also be irritating to the skin and cause breakouts and dryness. So, I urge you to be careful with how often you exfoliate your face - try to keep at once a week. A good natural option is choosing ones with almond meal in it or bran or clay (which though may not feel like it's removing dead skin cells, is actually very effective).

As for exfoliating your body, you can be slightly less careful - a mixture of sugar or sea salt and olive oil used gently is a great and inexpesive exfoliant.

Best of luck!

Jessa

smcneely1970
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM

For a lot of you who want to feel younger and inprove your skin! Try nopalea, it is truly amazing,you can get it at www.trivita.com/14343613 you will feel and look younger then ever before!

Jessa_Blades
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Quoting laylolilah:

Is there danger in using mineral powder foundation? A friend told me the danger of inhaling it, and the resulting damage to your lungs makes it's benefit to skin nor worth it.
Any truth to this?

Hi Laylolilah-

In regards to mineral foundation- there is some worry about inhaling ingredients like titanium dioxide and mica. My advice is to use a smaller powder brush when applying, which will help you get a more accurate application, i.e. less powder flying all around. Also think about using a pressed powder. You will inhale less when using a powder from a compact.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)